Friday, August 15, 2008

A Fool's Errand: Part 2

"Deeds not words."
- SAS (British version of the Navy Seals) official motto

Whenever one is preparing to embark on a fool's errand (see details here), one always has some second thoughts. These are also known as "logic" or "common sense" or even "the voice of reason." It takes a lot of discipline to make it through this stage. I have been fighting it all morning. Logistics and reality question the wisdom of the ride and tell me not to do it. As the enormity of my ambition strikes I'm finding it to stay true to my vision. Luckily, I have a friend who called me last night and wants to join me. An old friend who is no stranger to stupidity (we went to Bible College together) who's bike (and body) are in just as bad condition as mine. Perfect.

I'm thinking now we'll leave the Camp Morton Wilderness site at 10:00am on Sunday. If you happen to be heading into on Sunday (and you are from Gimli or North) let me know as we may be looking for someone to take Jason's car back to the city. And if you are crazy enough to join us, you may. Call me at 6122588. Also, if you're not busy that day please feel free to say a prayer for us!

May Light increase!

2 comments:

. said...

i love it, mark! it's easy to cop-out from way over here, but i think i would have been tempted to join you if i were in the country. my enjoyment of adventure (particularily physical, muscle-hurting, joint-aching adventure, such as following my sister up a mountain)has increased significantly over the past year, nearly as much as my fear of the unkown has decreased... a good, but scary combination going on right there! enjoy your ride!

Jay Boaz said...

You sir, are nuts. I know you won't see this until you get home, but maybe I'll drive home down #9 to check on you Sunday. :)

Jay