Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Fool's Errand?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” - Albert Einstein

On August 17th (A Sunday), I'm doing a little bike ride. Specifically, I'll be biking from the Wilderness Site at Camp Morton Provincial Park to my home in Winnipeg. It's somewhere between 105 and 120 km. Why such a ride you ask? Because, to quip Sir Edmund Hillary, it's there.

My goal (which I'm attaining so far) is to do it without any training or planning. I am completely out of shape! Right now I don't even have a decent bike to use (feel free to lend me one if you have one or advise me on what kind of bike to get). I'm not sure which route I'm going to take (the direct way down Highway 8 or the scenic route down Highway 9). I'm doing this trip mostly because it's an adventurous idea which appeals to me. It won't be a race - I plan to take at whatever pace I feel like with many stops to rest, sample local cuisine, check out local sights, take pictures, and just enjoy the journey.

How long will it take? I'm guessing anywhere between 8 and 11 hours depending on conditions and how long I tarry at places. As long as I make it to my house at a decent time in the evening I'll be happy. I think I'll leave either around 10:00am or just after lunch. I know that such a trip will have many unplanned-for circumstances and may include such things as fatigue, butt pain, soreness, whining, etc but I'm still really excited about it. I've tried to convince Jobina to come with me but I think the distance is a little too overwhelming for her for a first time trip (of course the impossibility of really understanding that distance is what make it more appealing for me!), so as of now I'm currently going solo which I'm OK with. But maybe you too are longing for a fools errand, an adventure, or a challenge for yourself? Want to come along? If so, let me know.

Also, I'm curious to hear how this idea sounds to other people. Have you ever done anything like this? Have you ever wanted to or have an adventure that you have dreamed about doing for awhile? Also, I'm looking for practical tips and advice for such an undertaking (things besides "don't get hit by a car" and the like). Peace.

May Light increase!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My ridiculous and crazy, but hardcore,husband thinks he'd like to do this with you...aka without training and on a bike that's been sitting outdoors through every season for the past 3 1/2 years. Apparently I'm not doing anything that day, except we could possibly be on call for flats and/or injuries! (Did you happen to consider all the traffic that would be coming home from the lake that day???) What did Jobina say one time, does our life insurance plan cover stupidity??? If anyone could do it with you it would be bob though!

Good luck, and give Bob a call.

Jacquie

Mark said...

I'll call him Jacquie! And you are welcome to camp out with us the night before if you want. Yeah, I've thought about the traffic - obstacles, obstacles! "Does our life insurance cover stupidity?" Of course it does!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic...

Jacquie

Jay Boaz said...

I hope you've booked a day or two off to recover from this trip. :) If you're intending to meander your way to the city I do think you should leave before noon though.

I think you asked already, but I'm not in for the trip. The last thing I'd want to do after biking from Gimli to Winnipeg would be turning around and driving back to Mennville!

Jay

Mark said...

Jay, you wouldn't have turn around and drive back to Mennville - you could stay over at my house and take all the time you want to recover! Seriously, think about how awesome this will be - do you really want to miss out?

Jay Boaz said...

If I stayed at your house I'd have to get up around 6 in the morning to return for work. :)

Jay