Sunday, August 10, 2008

New Directions


A lot of people have been asking me what I'm going to be up to in the fall now that I will have finished my degree at Providence (MA in Counseling Psychology). For now we are staying put in the city. I have recently accepted a position at a small start up counseling center on Henderson called Riverbend Counselling. I will be one of 3 counselors there and look forward to working as part of a team. Much appeals to me in this new endeavor including the fact that I will get to meet weekly with a mentor, have regular case consultation, and get to be part of a "start up" where I can see what it looks like to start a counseling ministry. Please pray for me that I will learn quickly and use my gifts and abilities to help those in need.

Another interesting thing I am doing is teaching a small course at Providence College. Entitled "College Success Skills," it is a basic course designed to help those with academic problems improve their marks. As many of my students will be "low" on the motivation scale I anticipate it will be very challenging. On the other hand, half of the class is meeting one on one with students and I'm looking very forward to that part of it. Again, feel free to pray for me!

Lastly, I plan to work in a limited capacity at Olive Garden in the fall, eventually phasing out of this job as I gain enough clients at Riverbend to do so. I have mixed feelings about leaving OG behind; it was a great job for someone in my position and I have really enjoyed the challenge and humility of serving people on a weekly basis. Also, the things I learned about human nature are priceless. On the other hand it will feel good to dedicate more time to my passion for helping people with their relationship issues and it's time to get out of my comfort zone.

2 comments:

Dave Carrol said...

I haven't been to an Olive Garden in years... they seem to have disappeared in Southern Ontario.

I misseth them

Stacey said...

Dave: I'm from Toronto. They HAVE disappeared! You have to go across the border to Buffalo to get your fix ;)

Mark: great update and some interesting endeavours in your future! I will certainly be praying for you.