Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A New Experience

Today I did something I've never done before: I visited a women's shelter. It was very interesting. My class on domestic violence is wrapping up and interviewing someone at a shelter was one of my assignments. I can't say which shelter it was as confidentiality is huge at these places. When I was contacted back by someone from the shelter they wouldn't even email me the location: I had to call as they didn't want any written records of it. Safety is key at these places.

I was told the address and when I found it, it was a totally non-descript building with no outside markings. I buzzed to get in and then I was in a small entrance area where the people at the main desk could see me. Then they unlocked that door and let me in. As I was shown around there were locks and intercoms all over the facility. I wasn't allowed to see the dorm rooms where the women and the children live but I saw enough to convince me that this was a place where safety of the clients was taken very, very seriously.

I interviewed a lady for about an hour and a half who has held many different jobs at the facility. The tales she told me were heartbreaking. The work they do is extensive including providing safety, therapy, legal assistance, crisis phone lines, community outreach, and follow-up. She talked about experiencing vicarious trauma and how all the workers there experience this as they work with these women and children. I don't know if I could do it. So much pain and hurt. When I left the lady I interviewed gave me a cool souvenir that hopefully I will be able to give to someone in need someday. It is a lipstick stick, but inside instead of lipstick is a rolled up piece of paper. The paper is a safety plan for women who are being abused. They can keep in there purse and look at it whenever they need to. . .

No comments: