Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Mystery of the Incarnation

I'm reading a book called "Jesus The Savior" by William C. Placher for my Theology class. After looking at some houses today I was sitting at McDonald's, reading, and killing time before going to work. I have to admit that theology is not something that usually turns my crank, but I liked one thing I read today. It was Placher attempting to describe the mystery of how Christ could be fully human and fully God at the same time. People always resort to analogies and maybe it was because I hadn't heard this one before that it kind of struck me. All analogies for explaining God break down, but I liked how this one made me think:

"In the Broadway musical Camelot, King Arthur gives a speech after he discovers that his queen and Sir Lancelot have fallen in love. "I am a man," he says, and therefore angry and jealous, and ready to go out and challenge Lancelot to the death. But, "I am also a king," he says and therefore he needs the help of his finest knight to defend the land, and he can't afford afford the risk of dividing the knights of the round table. His problem is that he is both a king and a man, yet there is never any doubt that he is just one Arthur. One who, two whats. In Christ, the whats - being a human and being God - are much more radically different than in any other example, and so understanding how they can be united is more difficult. But Christ doesn't have Arthur's problem, and the reason goes back to one of the categories that defines his humanity - obedience. Christ's humanity manifests itself in his full obedience to God, so that, while the differences between humanity and divinity are immeasurably greater than those between Arthur's manhood and kingship, they never come into conflict. We do not a have a way of imagining how the unity operates, but we see it enacted in what this one person does."

May Light increase!

No comments: