Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Offering?


For those readers who attend a Christian church, you are certainly familiar with the practice of "the offering." Essentially it is a time in the service where people can give their financial gifts to the church. Giving to one's church is more then just a way of funding facilities, staff, and various ministries. Christ-followers also believe that giving to one's church is a form or worship and obedience. The taking of the offering is a way of incorporating this into a service and making it a communal worship experience.

I was reflecting on this in church this Sunday as the offering baskets were going around. I always get this strange feeling in my gut during the offering and I was sitting there and trying to become aware of why this was so. I think there are a few reasons. First of all, Jobina and I give regularly but to make things easier on us (and we think on the church treasurer) we only give once a month. However in our church the basket goes by every Sunday. Thus, 75% of the time I pass the basket on without contributing. Even though I know that I do all of my giving at once, I still feel like I'm "slacking" or something. I know it shouldn't bother me, but sometimes it does. Sometimes I even catch myself wondering what my neighbor thinks of me! It's sad, I know. I could give a quarter of our giving every month, but then I'd feel like I was doing it for others and that wouldn't be cool either. Thus I'm stuck in this slightly awkward position.

The second reason I feel weird about offering is that, well, shouldn't giving be private? I remember our church board struggling with this issue when we were in Mennville. At one time, if you visited on a Sunday you'd think that giving never happened at all as giving was done by putting your money in a nondescript slot in the wall at the back of the church. This you could do anytime and if you wanted to, quite privately. Some people on the board wanted to make giving more a part of the worship service so eventually baskets were passed around as well. Not sure what they do now, I know they experimented with a few things.

A third reason some people might feel uncomfortable is because they don't give (or they do but not as much as they think they ought to). Perhaps they feel they just don't have enough to give right now, they have been hurt in the past by a legalistic church and they're reacting against it, or they are putting their giving money to other causes.

What are my conclusions here? Probably that one's preferences and perceptions about giving are going to affect one's experience about giving in church. I'm wondering what others think about this issue. Are there any churches that have the perfect system; one which allows for anonymity and yet a public sharing? Maybe we should do random passing of the plate (ushers flip a coin before every service)? Or maybe do it in the dark so one's neighbor can't see (and you don't worry about them)? By the way, the powerful photo at the top is by photographer Laci Adkins. P.S Check out my poll on the topic!

May Light increase!

7 comments:

Jobina said...

you missed out on the newest giving strategy...giving on line with you credit card! It's anonymous, yes, but worshipful. Um, I don't know about that. For what it's worth, I feel awkward that other 75% of the time too.

Leanne said...

actually Keith and I consider giving an important part of our budget - so we will be happy to start giving online - we'd like it best if we could set it up to automatically pull our set amount every two weeks. It's nice to know that the money is going to go at the same time every time - I won't forget the cheque or go on holidays that Sunday and have to make sure we keep the cash in our account until the following week...yada yada.
Personally, I've never felt all that worship-full during offering at church. I prefer to tithe there and then when I am moved to give above and beyond I can do that on my own as I feel led.
I do agree that the offering plate going by is awkward. Either because I am putting something in, or because I'm not. I grew up in a farming community, my dad was a teacher and I remember as a teen that some of the congregation thought that he should give more because teachers make so much money (they obviously didn't know what a teacher's salary is!) Perhaps that is why I'm attracted to the anonymity of online giving.
I don't want to make it sound like my issue is with the giving itself, because I enjoy that responsibility actually. It's the method/privacy issue that gets me.
I do feel called to give more to organizations outside my home church and when I follow that leading it is a more personal worshipful experience than my regular tithe. However, I continue to tithe at my church as well because I feel it is important to support my church leadership and programming. Interesting: the difference in my response tho, perhaps that is worth exploring.
(yipes - what a novel!)

Leanne said...

oh and I voted once a month because there was no bi-weekly option.

Anonymous said...

I have never felt awkward the three Sunday's of the month that I pass the basket without putting anything in it. I guess I have never thought about what anyone would think. It is none of their business to put it bluntly, just like it's not my business to wonder how much my neighbour put in his envelope. I always place my envelope face down so the next person does not see my name or amount and the reason I've always done that is because I would not want to discourage them in any way in case he is giving sacrificially and perhaps his sacrificial amount is less than my giving.
My issue is with our way of doing communion. I always feel awkward for people when the wine and bread are passed down each pew (at our church) and someone feels that they should not participate that day. I often serve communion and find that situation awkward for that person. What do you think about that?
Sorry I kind of changed the topic on you Mark! Trust me to do that, huh?

Michele said...

I'm with Mom on both counts. I've never really cared if other people think I'm not giving enough at church. That's between me and God and no one else. Same reason why I put the envelope face down in the plate.

The trouble with communion is, how do you make it more private? If anything, churches are starting to make it more public by getting people to walk up to the front to get communion. Our church passes it through the pews, same as offering. Here's my question on communion, why have it once a month? So many churches that I've been to do that. Who decides how often we should have communion? Is once per month biblical?

Mark said...

Great comments everyone. For Mom and Michelle: I agree, it is definitely none of anyone's business what I give, how much, or when. I shouldn't care what others think, but sometimes (and I don't think I'm alone) I do! It's kind of like if someone had a fear of, oh, let's say . . . birds. I could tell them they don't need to be afraid or even that they shouldn't be afraid of them, but they probably still will. Same with communion; people shouldn't feel awkward about refusing it, but for some reason they do. The question always is: should we enable people's fears by creating new ways of doing things that minimize their awkwardness or should we just keep doing things as we do and encourage them to push through it (and perhaps they will)? I can see possible negatives either way.
Lee: Hmmm . . . completely forgot about the bi-weekly thing, oops!

Anonymous said...

I already introduced the communion topic...can we leave the birds alone?!