Friday, January 1, 2010

Guess My Favorite Holiday

"Do . . . or do not . . . there is no try."
- Yoda


Well I'm now officially back from vacation, in case you were wondering what had become of me. I decided that to fully recharge myself this Christmas that I would pull myself away from many of my usual things - including my blog. It was tough for the first few days and then . . . sweet freedom! I won't give you a play by play of my Christmas, but I had a wonderful holiday break. Ah, it is good to relax!

Speaking of the holidays, I've decided that my favorite holiday is New Year's. Not for the partying and excessive drinking involved (think about it though - hundreds of millions of people are all getting drunk at the same time - mind boggling!) but that is an opportunity to . . .

-reflect and refocus
-take stock
-check in on progress
-make goals
-dream

I love it! I actually look forward to New Years and play with ideas in mind for what my goals, dreams, etc will be for the next year. I'm going to make measurable goals in the following areas:

1. As a Christ follower
2. As a husband.
3. As a friend.
4. As an entrepreneur.
5. As a counselor.
6. As an adventurer.
7. As a physical being.

I don't have anything set in stone yet (although I will within a week or so) but I do have one goal that kind of encompasses all of them:

This year I will read a book a week for the entire year.

I find that I am at my best as a person when I'm reading and exploring new ideas. Books are the perfect medium for me as I read for fun anyway. I figure that I already read alot but if I cut out some internet and TV time that one book a week is a reasonable goal for me. So, 52 books, here I come. Of course I need some suggestions for really good books to read. If you have any ideas for some good reads, please feel free to comment. Thanks and Happy New Year! May God bless you in every way . . . and make you thankful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey mark, welcome back to the interweb! A book a week, eh? I'm guessing that you won't be reading any tomes like war & peace or anything like that (although i do highly recommend it). I've got tonnes of suggestions and could probably lend you a bunch of books if you're interested!
Eric