Friday, April 17, 2009

Book Review: Inside Steve's Brain

Book Review: Inside Steve's Brain by Leander Kahney

Whether you love Apple or hate it, it's hard not to be impressed by their CEO, Steve Jobs. This short book is kind of a overview on what make's Jobs so effective as a leader. What makes him tick? There are other, better books out there chronicling his life story but this one focuses on the lessons we can learn to become more successful leaders ourselves. Part adoring and part condemning, the book looks at the personality traits and characteristic of Jobs that have helped him make Apple (and Pixar) into the powerhouses they are. If you own Apple products of any kind, it's an interesting read as you find out how deeply involved Jobs is with the making of each and every product. Mostly though, I was left with the question; is it worth it to have a boss who you are both in love with and afraid of at the same time? Would I want to work for him? My answer: no. Yet I'm a hypocrite because even though I know Jobs is cruel, I can't help but be seduced by the beautiful works of technological art that his company produces. Doh! Can one produce extraordinary creations without being a jerk? I hope so. Until then, I guess we'll have to put up with Jobs. This was an entertaining book, but one I'd borrow from the library instead of purchasing. I rate it 3.7 ninja stars out of 5.

No comments: