Saturday, July 17, 2010

Book Review: That Hideous Strength

Book Review: That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis

I recently finished off the third Book in the Cosmic Trilogy and I was not disapointed. I must warn you though, this book starts slow . . . very . . . slow. And it continues that way for about 1/2 of the book before it really gets interesting. If you hang in there though it is worth it. In many ways I like this book the most of the trilogy - it combines the theology and sci-fi with kind of (dare I say it) horror-like genre. The main character (Ransom) is only really present in the last part of the book, dividing it nicely from the other books in the beginning and tying it all together in the end. There are no deep theological conversations in this book - rather it a mystery that slowly unfolds and then ends in dramatic fashion. Along the way you get to hear the intricacies of university life that will both fascinate and bore you - sometimes right after each other. This book is perhaps the most "mature" as well with some questionable language, dark themes, and macabre situations. I rate it 3.85 ninja stars out of 5.

No comments: