Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Robin Hood - King of Sherwood

Book Review: Robin Hood - King of Sherwood by J.A. Watson

A friend of mine lent me this book. I've read lots of Robin Hood interpretations over my lifetime (Stephen Lawhead's Raven Trilogy is quite good) so I was bit curious on this take from an unknown author. I'll be brief with this one. It has a kind of "pulp fiction" feel to it but it started out slow. Real slow. I would say even that it was boring for the first few chapters. A lesser man may have succumbed and put it down but I persevered as I get stubborn about such things (I've only not completed 3 or 4 books that I've started - War and Peace was one of them). Eventually though as the plot evened out and a little suspense built up (as well as some romantic tension between Robin and Marion) I found myself engaged. I was glad I slogged through those first few chapters. I'd rate the book (a quick read) 3.4 ninja stars out of 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
I also really enjoyed the Raven King Trilogy (i haven't read Tuck yet, i bought it and then lost it before i even had a chance to read it!)

I think you should give war and peace another chance. It gets better as you go. It took me a loooooong time to read it, but i'm glad i did in the end. I think someday i'll even read it again. It was one of those books that i put down for a week or two, reading other books in between, then came back to it.

Eric

Mark said...

Hey Eric, yup, anything by Lawhead is pretty good (although my favorite is still the Pendragon series).

About War and Peace: It's funny, but I have a psychological block on that book now. Because I started it twice and didn't finish it . . . it seems daunting. Maybe after I've finished my year of reading a book a week, I'll celebrate by taking up Tolstoy's work once more. Feel free to keep me accountable on this. Come January I shall immerse myself in War and Peace and finish it - or die trying!