Sunday, February 4, 2007

What is authentic when it comes to a blog?

I have toyed with this idea of a blog but have hesitated; not because of not know what to write, but how to write it. How does one remain authentic on a blog? I mean should you write primarily for yourself or for others? What is the purpose of a blog; ego gratification, helping the masses, monetary gain, self promotion, etc? Is it an excuse not to actually connect with people face to face? Or a chronicle of one's exploits that shows them that indeed your existence is justified? Sometimes I read people's blogs and I get this "fake" feel, like they are writing to try to impress others and not writing for themselves. I can easily see myself falling into this trap. And so I've hesitated.

Perhaps I need to just aim high when it comes to staying authentic but accept that I will fall short. "He who hesitates is lost" though and I shouldn't use fear of hypocrisy to keep from attempting the impossible. In that vein, here are some of my principles for writing:

1. I will write for myself primarily and if I write something for others I will identify it honestly.
2. I will write when inspired, or close to it, or I will not write at all.
3. I will be authentic when I write (sharing my real thoughts and feelings).
4. Feedback from others is welcome but not necessary for my self-esteem and shouldn't affect my writing.

I've decided to narrow the focus of this blog: To act as a journal of ideas and thoughts that challenge/enlighten me. I may occasionally add some personal life stuff as well.

May Light Increase!

No comments: