Friday, February 15, 2008

Memories: The Bards of Now

“Remember: there are no small parts, only small actors.” - Konstantin Stanislavisky

Today I was thinking about one of my favorite memories of being a youth pastor and that was forming and leading our youth's drama team; the Bard's of Now (logo above). I believe that the name came from Justin (where he got it from I have no idea, but I like the Celtic sound to it). We did a lot of youth group and church skits and a couple of full length productions ("Aliens" and "Mordbidman Meets His Maker" being the most notable.

Working with students and drama was hugely rewarding. Especially tying abilities into ministry; using the power of drama to turn people's hearts and minds toward God. I really miss it! I really enjoyed directing; managing my sometimes moody and opinionated young actors was challenging and fun.

Some of my favorite memories include:

-Our first real performance: Bayview Church's Mission Conference in their old building. Our actors were amazing (Jobina was actually in it that year and did a superb "McJesus") and I felt that my speak after was inspired.
-Practicing for "Aliens," Julie would always punch me (Goliath the Space Giant) 10 times as hard as necessary "to make it look real" she said. My arm still hurts from that.
-An older lady demanding we stop playing "rock music" at an outreach performance of Morbidman at the Gimli High School. Ironically it was Christian music rock music but apparently it was evil so she left.
-Eric hitting himself almost unconscious with a large book during "An Annoying Little Sin." Also, I got to wear my custom made Jesus costume.
-Melissa, the quietest voiced actor I have ever worked with, learning to project loudly!
-Renee and Dayna discovering their masculine sides as the henchman in "Morbidman." Also notable was our performance of the same at Riverton Elementary where during the break Jay stayed in character as Dr. Insidious and recruited the children in the audience! I was worried they might kill him, but he held them off long enough for Act 2.

There are so many more, that I cannot possibly list them. Suffice it to say that Bards, I miss every one of you and it was an honor serving with performing "no-cheese" drama with you. It truly was an honor and I was blessed by it. Perhaps we should have a reunion?

May Light increase!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Riverton performace; I recuited the kids into Dr. Insidious' army and then didn't know what to do with them! I had a pretty large turn-out too...

At the end of the night, after I gave my army brownies (or cookies, whatever it was) I went up to Mark, and just said "I'm sorry, and I won't do that again." And Mark said "Alright then." Or something along those lines. :)

The kids had fun though...

Jay