Friday, November 14, 2008

Left Behind

Today I feel kind of left behind. Jobina is going to her Aunt Jean's funeral in Dalmeny but after some difficult discussion we decided that I would stay behind with the kids. There seemed to be some practical implications to consider but now that the day has come those practical things don't seem as important as they did before. It's terrible because I feel now like I made the wrong decision. I wish I had gone too. Ironically, many of the reasons I stayed behind (work schedule, clients, etc) have fallen away. Though it sucks I think I've learned a valuable lesson. Funerals of those close to us never happen at a good time (time wise, financially, personally) but they are a call to action. Family comes together. Sacrifices need to be made. Today I pray and spend time with my kids, but my heart is hundreds of miles away in Saskatchewan . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could always get in the van and drive with the kids

Mark said...

Too late (unfortunately).

netablogs said...

I understand. We did the same thing, years ago. My Grandpa died and my husband (who was my fiance at the time) decided not to go. We've always regretted that. But we have learned from our mistake, so that's the main thing.

Elayne said...

Don't worry about it....Jean was not about regrets. We did miss you Mark, and would have loved to have you, Riker and Trinity with us too. So glad Jobina got to come and especially that she could bless the family by being a pallbearer.
Love,
Mom G.

Anonymous said...

I know that John echoes your thoughts as he also stayed home with our kids. I have to say it was thereputic to be able to grieve without worrying what the kids were up to and I'm so grateful for a husband who understood my need to grieve on my own without distraction. You and John did a wonderful thing and I'm thankful...so very very thankful...for both of you.

I miss you, God bless you!!

Love, Michele