Monday, October 6, 2008

The Tao of Small Groups

Yesterday in church I did a brief promo to hype our small group programs (Jobina and I are leading one this year). Here is what I said:

Anyone remember the 80's? All the weird music and crazy big hair? Well there were a few notable things that came out of the 80's and one was some classic TV. Anyone remember "Cheers?" Cheers took place at a small Boston pub where the main characters gathered every day after work to share in each others lives. The theme song has a few lines that I think express some of our deepest human needs (don’t worry I won’t sing it):
* Sometimes you want to go, where everybody knows your name,
* and they're always glad you came.
* You wanna be where you can see, our troubles are all the same
* You wanna be where everybody knows your name.”

You see, all of us know, deep down that we really weren’t mean to do life alone. We long to connect with others, to be real with someone! I know I do. We need other people. God is a relational God – he himself is a fellowship, three persons in community for eternity. And God made us to be in FELLOWSHIP with one another. The word translated fellowship in the New Testament means “common” or “sharing.” So what exactly is fellowship? Fellowship quite simply is doing life together.

I’m pumped about small groups, because small groups are probably the best way I know to really experience the power of fellowship and just “do life together” like the Bible describes. Small groups may not actually always be a good option for everyone at every time – you may be super busy with important life stuff or maybe you are experiencing fellowship somewhere else. And that’s OK. Eventually though if you are missing out on true fellowship, your heart will start to feel it – it’s a need that can be put on hold for awhile, but not forever. I don’t want to put any pressure on anyone (don’t we have enough of that in our lives?) but I would like to invite you. If you feel like you would like a group of people to connect with, to be real with, to learn with, to share with . . . a place to know others and be known . . . a place to go where everybody knows your name . . . then I invite you to consider joining a small group at Cornerstone. There is an insert in your bulletin if you'd like more information.

There is a verse that sums up what fellowship in the church is supposed to look like:
1 Thess 2:8 says “We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us."

3 comments:

Terry L said...

Cheers was a small BOSTON pub... :)

Mark said...

Doh! You're right Terry. Thanks, I'll fix that! Not sure why I thought Chicago . . .

Elayne said...

You genius!! I bet people were falling over each other signing up for this!