Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Book Review: Three Cups of Tea

Book Review: Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen & David Relin

My sister got this book for me for Christmas and I wasn't sure I'd like it . . . but I did. Greg Mortensen was a nurse and part time mountain climber who got terribly lost on his descent on the mountain of K2. He ended up in a tiny village that he had never heard of. While there he was so impacted by the people, their way of life, and their poverty that he vowed to return. When he did he noticed that the children's "school" was simply a spot outside where they did math problems by scratching in the dirt. Their teacher only came a few days a week as he was shared with another village. Right there and then Greg felt moved to act. He vowed to return and build them a school. What follows is an unbelievably inspiring story about how one man can make a difference - a real difference in people's lives. After reading this book I noticed my own thoughts and feelings about helping people had changed - I had more of a vision in my mind on how the whole idea of "benevolence" could look. Really enjoyed this book - I'd give it 4 ninja stars out of 5.

No comments: