Friday, February 12, 2010

Teulon Youth Speak

Tonight I did a little Valentine's speak at a youth group's Valentine's banquet. It was the first time doing any sort of youth teaching time in several years and I was actually quite nervous, especially since they were grades 6-12 and most of them were unchurched. Definitely not an easy group to prepare for! Crafting the speak was incredibly difficult on me and I wasn't at all impressed by the end product. Not only that but Jobina couldn't come with me so I went to Tuelon all alone. My speak was mediocre but I had a lot of fun just hanging out with the students (and with one of my former students who helped lead the group). I found myself disarmed by these kids and very much wanting to hang out and minister to them. I actually starting thinking about how I miss doing youth ministry - something I haven't felt in a while. Although I was stressing out about this particular engagement I believe that God really wanted me to do it and I felt his blessing on my heart. It's funny, it was way more stressful preparing and anticipating speaking to a group of 25 students then it is to speak to a church of 150. Yet I am so glad I went through with it. I honestly consider myself to be a mediocre at best speaker but I still get invitations to speak every now and then. I think maybe it's God keeping me on my toes by getting me out of my comfort zone.

As a former youth pastor it is always a special blessing to see one's past students now leading and involved in ministry of their own. It's seeing the fruit of your labour bearing fruit of it's own and it's quite exciting. I pray for my old students that they will get to have the same blessing. Very cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Mark said...

Sadly, I'm not on Twitter, but thanks for the kind words.