Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Boy Has Skills

Today when we got home from church Riker stayed outside while the rest of us hurried indoors to warmth and relaxation. He got out our big snow shovel and went and shoveled our walk. Then he did our neighbor Wade's walk followed by the person next to him. Then he went to our other neighbors and did theirs as well. When he was done those people came out and gave him $10! Now keep in mind that he was not necessarily trying to make money. He is only 6 years old and there is not much snow so it only takes him about two or three minutes to shovel a walk. I figure he made an hourly wage of about $300 an hour ($10 for two minutes) which is better then his sad Father was every able to do. Very impressive! Another neighbor gave him some money too and now his little entrepreneurial heart has been quickened. I'm was very proud of him!

4 comments:

Jay Boaz said...

I remember when I was a kid (older than Riker though) my dad mowed the neighbor's lawn and left a note saying I had done it and was offering my services for the summer. He didn't actually talk to me about it first so I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it. Turned out the neighbor was away on holidays and the grass was grown in by the time he got back!

You've said you want to buy a small business, maybe you and the boy need to start one together! :)

Terry L said...

remember to get him to invest in some good dividend paying stocks! Banks are looking pretty good right now, BMO and CIBC paying between 6 and 8% yields on dividends. Do it on a DRIP and he'll make even more! Man, why didn't anybody tell me about this stuff when I was a kid.... :(

Mark said...

Hey Terry, I don't think I'll be suggesting any stocks to him - they are way to dangerous! Instead it will be real estate all the way, much safer. On the other hand, if I was going to buy stocks, I'd buy ones that produce dividends (like the Canadian Banks). But as there is usually a stock melt down every couple of decades I think the short lived dips in real estate are a much wiser choice . . .

Terry L said...

Hard to buy $15 worth of real estate....