Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tears From A Clown

Coulrophobia: an irrational and overwhelming fear of clowns. Check out this video:



The first time I watched this video I thought the therapist was a bit . . . well, cruel. But when I watched it a second time I realized that people with irrational fears need to be pushed to confront those fears. Notice how he gets her to "graph" her level of fear between 1 and 100. He does this for three reasons (I think); first to help her realize that that are different levels of fear (not just "calm" and "terrified"), secondly to help her think rationally about emotional events, and thirdly to help chart her progress in losing her fear. I also like how he uses systematic desensitization to slowly get her more comfortable with increasing amounts of exposure to clowns. For people with phobias, another technique that works well is immersion therapy, which pairs desensitization with relaxation techniques.

So . . . does anyone out there have an irrational phobia? Or know of anyone who does? Phobias are powerful because they become learned emotional responses - ones that aren't rational. Once an irrational fear is not challenged, emotional response can "solidify" it in the brain so that the sufferer loses their ability to imagine them self without it. Most people with phobias eventually realize that they are irrational (like the woman in the video)- but the fear response remains. There is only one way to deal with phobias - you have to face your fear. Even Freud with all of his crazy theories admitted as such. All successful therapies have this as their central component. So if you or someone you know has an irrational fear and want to beat it, this is what you (or they) will have to do . . .

7 comments:

Stacey said...

Well, like a lot of the Funk women I have a fear of birds. When I moved to Toronto I had to walk a few blocks to work. What is famous in Toronto? Pigeons. They sit in HUGE clusters (schools? swarms?) on the sidewalk and don't move until you're in the middle of them and then SWOOSH they fly all over the place; straight up, across you, behind you, in your face! Needless to say I was the crazy person who screamed, ran, grabbed and pulled innocent people in front of me to fend off the evil pigeons only to make a complete fool of myself. One day I just decided "this is it"! I will not let these pigeons do this to me! (yes I thought they were out to get me ;) So I guess I just faced it head on... literally. Kept walking and walked through the pigeon cluster. Little by little, day by day I got a little braver. I don't work downtown anymore and I don't have to walk through the pigeons every day and I won't say that the times I still do I don't twitch, I don't feel that same fear, but it is definately much better. At least I no longer leap onto innocent bystanders :)

Sorry that was a long post. But yes, facing it head on... harder then it sounds. But possible.

Anonymous said...

ummm...can i still be a counsellor if I found that video funny?

I have an irrational fear of mice. i won't lie...i react much stronger to mice than that lady does to clowns.

Haylee

Anonymous said...

For me it's spiders. Not that crazy though. I can stand pics and spiders around the cheerio size. I don't like them on me though. It's really weird b/c daddy long legs don't scare me at all.
Eric

Anonymous said...

Mark, I'm scared to tell you my phobias because I have this irrational fear that you may try and desensitize me! ;)

Michele

Anonymous said...

I have a fear of loud noises, especially car alarms. I fear them going off and hate using remote unlocking devices for vehicles I'm not used to (for fear I will press the wrong button, and the alarm will sound).

Elayne said...

Mark, I fear YOU! I fear that you decided on this post with me in mind and that you are determined to cure me of my "b--d" phobia!....or shame me into dealing with it! And no, I will not be walking through any cluster, clump, swarm, or school of pigeons any time soon in case you think my baby sister has shamed me on your behalf.
Couldn't you come up with something really interesting to post today?

Mark said...

Haylee: Yes, it's OK to laugh if you are a counselor (as long as you still maintain some level of compassion and professionalism of course. Good thing I didn't show the video of the man afraid of peaches and the woman afraid of pickles!
Mom (Elayne): No Mom, this wasn't aimed at you although I sense you may wish to deal with this phobia sooner then later :)