Thursday, March 19, 2009

What Do You Love To Do For Fun?

At our small group meeting the other day we had some questions that everyone answered. One of them was: "What do you love to do for fun?" I like this question because it helps you connect with someone and find out what really, really makes them tick. Notice it's not what do you "like" to do for fun. No, no this is about what you love to do for fun.

William Glasser believes that fun is one of our core human needs and I agree with him. For me, doing the fun things I love gives me joy and energy. Here's two of my big ones:

1. Exploring. Whether it's a sufferfest paddling adventure, a spin through a part of my city I've never been before, or driving down a new road out in the country . . . I love to explore. Seeing what's around the corner is glorious. On my way to work I continually drive down new streets just to see what's on them. And when travelling through a foreign area I continually have to fight the desire to stop the vehicle, get out, and run into the forest. Why? Because I want to know - what's out there that I haven't seen before?

2. New ideas. It may sound strange but new ideas invigorate me. I crave them! Whether its theology, psychology, sociology, economics, architecture, business, poetry, the environment, comedy, philosophy, art, or something else. Life is worth living to me because we as humans are continually applying creativity to the world around us. When I hear a creative idea that I've never heard before it's like music to my ears. This is why I will never get sick of reading (and why I read so widely) - it is pure fun to hear new ideas!

So what do you love (and it has to be love) to do for fun? I'm really quite curious . . .

2 comments:

Moxymama said...

Much like you I love to learn new things. I am constantly craving new information and knowledge. If I had the time and money I would be a professional student. I also love to play the guitar. I wish I had more time to do so.

Anonymous said...

I love playing hockey! And reading. That's probably my top two.
Eric