Monday, August 20, 2007

Simplicity

"Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so." - Karl Barth, renowned theologian, responding to a question about what is the Gospel.

I am doing a course on the New Testament right now where you have to read through the entire thing twice, reading entire books of the NT in one sitting. At first, I didn't like doing this - I like to chew on a verse or phrase for awhile and this is something that doesn't work when your read one book at a time. After reading through each of the Gospels in one sitting though, I've changed my mind. This kind of reading can be very useful. Sometimes, I think we (Christ-followers) can get so wrapped up in the details that we miss the forest for the trees when it comes to faith. I was struck by the simplicity of the message as presented in the Gospels. The basic message of Christ is simple, a child can successfully understand it.

This was further brought home to me this week as I attended some of the last day of Avalanche Ranch, the vacation Bible school program that my kids went to last week. The messages that were shared were refreshingly simple and I found my own heart soaring as I heard them. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing I like more then to get into a deep, intense, and satisfying discussion on theological topics. But when it comes down to it my soul takes more solace in the most simple aspects of faith. Simplicity can be powerful stuff.

No comments: