Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Horror, The Horror

Today I have to do a 12-15 page paper for my Biblical Foundations class. So far, it is killing me. Why you ask? Here is an abridged description of the assignment:

Select two commentators on thh Psalms, one of which should be a pre-modern commentator (possible pre-modern commentators: Calvin, Jerome, etc. Possible modern/post-modern commentators: Walter Brueggeman, John Eaton, James L. Mays, C.S. Lewis). Compare the two commentator's interpretative approaches, using extensive examples form their work. Discuss, using the examples from the commentators: (1) the methods they use to interpret the Psalms (e.g., allegory, historical critical, canonical); (2) the concerns (e.g., historical, ethical, doctrinal, etc) and purposes (e.g. exhortation, Christology, etc) that become apparent as they interpret, and (3) how (if at all) you find the commentators assist you in your personal reading of the Psalms.


No doubt for OT guys like my friend Tim this would be considered an elementary assignment but for me it is just short of impossible. So far I have 3 pages and no idea what I am doing. Anyway, whatever is on your plate of of difficult things to do, I hope seeing what I have to do (today!) makes you feel better.

By the way, anyone know where the quote I used in the title of this post comes from?

May Light increase!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crash of the Hindenburg?

Anonymous said...

You're quoting Conrad's Kurtz from the Heart of Darkness.

Mark said...

Rod, you got it. Most impressive! I read Heart of Darkness years ago and got almost nothing out of it (I think I was only 17). But those words always stuck with me. Kind of haunting really. Anyway, well done! I'm trying to remember if they were quoted in Apocalypse Now, a movie interpretation of the book.

Michele said...

Yikes! I'm glad it's you and not me that has to do that paper. Is this the one that's due by Tuesday? You poor guy. Keep plodding forward, Mark. It's gotta make sense at some point!

Stacey said...

huh? wow better you then me. my brain doesn't even work that way!

So... update us. How did it go?

Mark said...

It was . . . horrible, but I got it done. It may be one of my worst papers yet, but as long as I pass, I will be happy! I finished at about 4:30 in the morning, early for an all nighter (which is what I was anticipating it would be).

Stacey said...

wow, you rock Mark! way to go! I hope (and I'm sure) you will do well!