Sunday, December 2, 2007

Why Aren't You Blogging?

I was looking at my "friends and fellow thinkers" section on the side of my blog and it made me sad. First I was sad because some of these blogs are almost never updated and I fear that I will have to remove them ("dead" blogs are not cool to have on one's blogroll). Secondly I was sad because I'd love to add more blogs of people I know but there aren't a lot out there. I find it interesting that many people are smarter, funnier, and can write way better then me but they don't have a blog. Why not? It takes like 10 minutes to start one. And you don't have to write something everyday. It seems that a lot of my friends would have fantastic blogs (which I could learn from) if they'd only give it a try.

Starting and maintaining a blog does have some drawbacks (mostly in time and mental energy spent). But here are some reasons why you might want to try it:

1. It's not the "cool" thing to do anymore. The people who jumped onto the bandwagon exited it first for myspace and then facebook. Think of blogging as pleasantly retro, like the 80's!
2. It's a great way to journal your life, thoughts, ideas, pictures, music, etc.
3. It's a great way to "sharpen the saw" of your creativity.
4. It keeps people up to date and lets them know you are alive.
5. It's a great way to learn how to present your thoughts/ideas/feelings publicly and learn to expose yourself to feedback (the real way to achieve growth in anything).
6. Do you like getting mail? That's how it feels anytime someone leaves a comment.
7. You will meet new people with interesting lives and opinions.
8. Some 2006 bloggin stats:

* 8% of consumers (12 million US adults) keep a blog, up from 7% last year.
* 39% of consumers (57 million US adults) read blogs, up from 27% last year.


Anyway, I challenge you to try it. Anyone up for it?

May Light increase!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow! Well in my case, originally I did not start blogging for comments. I was blogging for myself. And I never promised it would be updated regularly because I wanted to write only when I felt I had something to really say. I guess with the schedule I have it became more difficult to feel inspired... so my posts got lazy. It sometimes feels like a chore and I don't like that. Now I blog about almost anything just because I feel obligated to get a few posts a month up there. I know more people are reading it then the ones that leave comments (thank you for being one of those "ones")... but after a while it makes me wonder. Are my topics not interesting enough to comment on, or maybe they are too shy to post. The latter might be the case but one can't help but take it personally.

I need to get back to a place where it's not about finding neutral things to write about. I think I write my best when I'm not thinking about who might be reading it.

But in the meantime, if you're talking about me... you have full permission to remove me from your list. Because honestly I'm not that happy with my blog right now anyway.

Mark said...

Stacey: I wasn't talking about your blog, I love your blog! You are one of the ones who I was referring to as written better then mine! No, for the ones I was thinking of removing, these are blogs that have not seen any action in a month or so (some are even longer then that). I think that blogging sees periods of high intensity followed by low intensity and that is OK (even natural). Mostly, I would just like to hear more people's thoughts on stuff. Not everyone should blog (or can blog) but I would really love to hear what some people have to say.

I used to have a lot of high moral principles about how I was going to blog (like not thinking about what others would think, etc). I found that sometimes I can't do it, I'm aware of what I'm writing and how I think others will react to it. Sometimes I don't care and sometimes I do. I'm human! And yes, it hurts when you write about something dear to you and none seems to care. Then the next time you write about something that takes you 5 minutes and no brain power and people love it! What's up with that? C'est la vie!

Anonymous said...

Been there (a blogger), done that, done with it. The best I can muster these days is to comment. HETL, TP

Stacey said...

Oh I'm humbled now. Thank you for your comments. I think the purpose of my blog was because with the fast-paced work life I have I rarely had time to reflect. And I looked at picking up blogging again as a place to do that--"peel off layers of the veil" and write about my lessons in life, things I pondered and think about, questions I have and opinions I've formed. And what happens? I resort to writing about how to make a cup of chai latte that you couldn't even understand! lol Too funny. I have been "accused" of being too sensitive, and that I am deep thinking. Instead of personally journaling it I put it out in the open on a blog for everyone to see. Then I got caught up in the comments or lack there of. I knew there were friends and others who were reading it because sometimes I get emails from them, avoiding the comment area on the blog b/c maybe they didn't want their comment out in the open. Also via my sitemeter I know I have more readers then commenters. I thought I was getting too heavy for some. Then I wrestled with finding "neutral" topics. Then I feel obligated to continue for those who are reading. And after awhile it's not fun--or lost it's meaning.

I have a big project work-wise to prepare over the next few months. But I think come February I will get back to it--or at least get back to a place where I enjoy what I'm blogging about--without worrying about those high principles. (thanks for saying that).

However I do enjoy reading your blog and admire that you reply to your comments with such commitment. Keep on keeping on. You have a lot of readers who you inspire on a myriad of levels.