Monday, March 10, 2008

Theological Pain

(I found this great cartoon on Chez Gavin the other day and couldn't resist posting it)

Today I spent most of my day laboring over a 5 page theology paper on the Holy Spirit. Theology is the study of God and I find it amazing how often I struggle with understanding and applying theological subjects. In class, I like the discussions, but doing a theology paper is always a painful experience. I wonder why. Is it me? Is it the subject? Is it the professor?

It's probably me.

Studying God is a necessary evil. Really though, I just want to enjoy Him. Is that so much to ask? I wish I could get my heart more into it, but I can't. Theology is most of the time just boring (to me). There I said it. I wonder how many other people feel the way I do?

May Light increase!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the comic! Very funny! I totally understand where you're coming from. Maybe the prayer for you is to be able to get excited about theology? I'll pray for ya!

Love, Michele

gavin said...

Mark, you totally stole this comic from my post on Feb. 26th! I shall pray that God gives me the strength to forgive you....

I'm glad to have found your blog. It will be good to glean from your musings.

gavin said...

And how the heck do you know Marc Vandersluys?

Mark said...

Hey Gavin, oops sorry, I should have "cited" my source (now remedied). If it makes you feel better, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As for Marc, I actually don't know him really well, but he and my wife went to high school together in Caronport so that's the connection. See you in class!