Monday, July 28, 2008

The Man Behind The Abortions

My friend Lee sent me this link describing an interview the CBC did with Henry Morgentaler a week or so ago. Now first let me say that I am staunchly pro-life and do not agree with almost anything of which Morgentaler has stood for or accomplished (and no, I don't think he should have got the Order of Canada). I am honestly dumbfounded when talking to pro-choicers as to how they can justify terminating an unborn baby and I am deeply saddened when I think about the thousands of babies legally killed each year in Canada. "Mass murder" is not too sensational a term to describe what is happening and Christians should be mobilizing against it.

That being said, I am fascinated from an ethical and psychological perspective about how Morgentaler as a person justifies his professional and personal life. You may think we are on much different level then someone like Morgantaler, but I'm sure if we looked into our lives we'd find huge contradictions in our ethics and practice. Christians too are famous for our hypocrisy and for how we can twist ethics to do whatever we want (anyone remember slavery)? Personally I can righteously hate what Mortgentaler has done but still feel some measure of pity towards him as a person. Christians don't look very good when we move beyond attacking the man's actions and attack the man himself (something which is very tempting to do). When we do this, we shoot ourselves in the foot as our important message of protest gets lost in personal vindictiveness. And this from followers of the Man who said "love your enemies." Essentially we use pagan ways of attacking a problem and we sacrifice the results by using a non-Christian process. The end does not justify the means and if we believe that it does we are self deceived. Anyway, check out the article.

P.S. Usually I'd find any discussion of Morgantaler's relationship affairs to be firmly in the "gossip" area but because he chose to answer these questions honestly, I don't mind providing the link to the story. However to get the "real" context you should see the actual interview which is here (also check out the comments afterwards to see the wide divergence in opinions from viewers).

2 comments:

Elayne said...

For some reason I couldn't access the video but I did read the interview. It was an eye-opening peek into his life to see the man behind all the controversy for a change. I've been solely focused on speaking up regarding the Order of Canada issue (cyberspace has been busy delivering all my emails!!) and sadly had not thought much about the man himself.
Thanks for that reminder, Mark!

Mark said...

No worries Mom, glad to hear it was enlightening for you!