Monday, July 28, 2008

My Wife Has A "Problem"

Today Jobina came home from grocery shopping and I noticed that she had two boxes of cereal. Immediately I was tense. "Um, what are those?" I asked, my voice wavering a little unsteady. "Cereal," said Jobina, "What does it look like?"

At this point in the conversation I got a little animated. I explained to her that we had at least five boxes of cereal already! Seven boxes was definitely too much! My wife has a problem - she keeps on buying boxes of cereal, way, way too much cereal. Many of these boxes are the "jumbo" size ones. She tries to laugh it off, but the ironic thing is that she almost never eats cereal herself.

When I went to check how many boxes we actually had in the house I discovered that we had already had 7 boxes, thus bringing us to the incredible number of nine boxes all together! At this rate we'll need to buy another house, one that has a large room that can simply be known as "the cereal cellar." Honey, I'm putting my foot down. A family of four with 2 children under 7 years old and one Mom who rarely eats cereal does not need more then 4 boxes in the house. We've got to stop this before it gets even more out of hand. I have enabled you long enough! I'm telling you (because I love you) no more. If it helps, I can come shopping with you and direct you away from the cereal aisle. I will do this because I care (and because I am afraid and I want the cereal nightmares to stop).

If we reach 10 boxes of cereal in the house I will need counseling for sure!

8 comments:

Leanne said...

lol - I can totally relate to this! Despite the fact that we rarely eat cereal, we have an entire cupboard shelf devoted to cereal boxes, plus, the excess has migrated to the top of the microwave!!

Jobina said...

Maybe it's the pretty colours and the allure of health that gets me...or all of those Special K commercials! Ok, I admit it, I have a problem! Although, in my defense, if you would just tell me what kind of cereal to buy instead of saying, "oh, anything but ______" then I wouldn't be forced to buy such a wide variety!

Stacey said...

that is a stand-up comedy routine for sure!

To help you "rid" your supply of cereal here are some ideas:

1. string pieces of flakey type cereal together for christmas tree garland.
2. crush large jumbo boxes of cereal to "sand like" texture and fill the backyard for a cereal box, er, sand box for the kids.
3. visit this web site for recipes that use cereal.
4. use food colour to dye cereal and fill in pretty containers for a decorative touch around your home
5. sew 2 pieces of large square fabric together, leave a small opening, fill with cereal, stitch opening together. Ta-da! Throw cushions (or pillow fight!)
6. fill bathtub at your friend's house with all nine boxes of cereal for a fun practical joke.
7. ... okay I can't really think of any more ideas but that was fun. Maybe some of your other readers will have interesting creative ideas :)

Happy Birthday Mark!
~Stacey

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way with salad dressings. They don't take up quite as much space, but it still really bothers my husband. I think variety is the spice of life.

But maybe 7 boxes in a 4 person family is a bit much. :) Especially Costco size!

Anonymous said...

Around here it's more that there's a half cup of cereal left in the boxes we do have so it "looks" like we have. We're not too comfortable wasting that last bit of cereal apparently or eating the crushed bits at the bottom of the bag!

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mark!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

well maybe YOU should start eating more cereal and tell jobina what kinds you would like her to buy

Lindsay said...

I think that everyone has one weird grocery or household item that they buy compulsively. I'm sure of it. I've held this theory for a while... Jobina's is cereal. What's yours? :)

(Happy Birthday!)

Elayne said...

Jobina comes by it honestly. I had just read this post, was still laughing and unpacking my London Drug purchases while telling Dad this cereal story and I noticed that when I changed my mind about the soap I was buying I didn't put the other one back on the shelf so now I have a big container with a pump AND a huge refill! Then there are all the other nice soaps I've been buying, scattered throughout the house!