Sunday, September 30, 2007

Better-Late-Than-Never Speech for Evan's Wedding

I am happy and excited for my friends Evan and Renita who got married this past Saturday. They had a very nice and beautiful wedding (which I was honored to be an usher at). In the receiving line I was told by several people that there was not going to be an open mic but that it would be appreciated by Evan (and others) if I would say a few words. Sadly, I am not a good speaker and don't respond well under pressure but I attempted to write a few things to say. The pressure was on! Usually pressure does not paralyze me very much but this time it did. By the end of the meal I almost had something to say, but then it was time for the wedding party speeches and I missed my chance. Perhaps it was better this way as now I can redeem myself online. So Evan (and Renita) this is what I would have liked to say:

On behalf of my wife and I, I just want to wish a hearty congratulations to the happy couple. Though I have only recently gotten to know Renita, she seems like a good match for Evan (even though she tried to poison him). She is very beautiful, especially her smile and her genuine spirit. Evan of course is lucky to get her.

Ah, Evan. We have gotten to know each other well, haven't we? I have been your youth pastor, camp director, camp director mentor . . . and especially your friend. I have watched your continued growth with fascination and awe. Whenever I have been unsure if you were up to a particular challenge, you have surprised me with your ability to pull it off - usually in a way that was unexpected but distinctly your own. In that way I have learned much from you. I have enjoyed our long talks about God, life, relationships, ministry, grace, emotions, and everything else under the sun. I could wax eloquently about your gifts and abilities (of which you have many) but instead I will focus on one that truly makes me smile; your genuine desire to do the right thing. On this day, like many others, I'd just like you to know that I'm proud of you. Well done my friend.

May God's Light be upon you both!

-Mark

P.S. Think of marriage as the ultimate T.D.A., complete with team (Team Kornelsen?), loving feedback, exciting tasks, and debriefings galore. Marriage is the most enjoyable T.D.A. of all. Enjoy every minute of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you not supposed to talk in TDA's? That might make marriage a little tougher.

:)

Congrats to Evan and Renita!

JBo