Monday, September 17, 2007

"What About Us?"

It was a strange sermon (at least to Jobina and I) at our church this past weekend. Our pastor is speaking a series on the vision of our church and today's topic was what the historical problems of our church are (problems which I suppose are shared with many churches). Here are the problems:

1. 20 percent of the people do 80 percent of the work.
2. There is never enough money to accomplish the vision
3. Churches tend to focus inwards not outwards.

For the third problem, our pastor spoke about how when the church leadership came up with a vision that was outreach focused at its center, not everyone agreed with it. He said the elders main comment they heard was "What about us?" He seemed to liken these comments to a. misunderstanding the others-centered purpose of the universal church and b. an inward desire to have church "about me and my needs." Some people left a few years ago (when the vision was launched) in his opinion because they wanted what was best for them, not unbelievers in the community.

Usually, I love our pastor's preaching, but I had several issues with this sermon (Jobina was pretty annoyed with it as well!). First, just because someone would like church to meet their needs doesn't mean they are selfish. In my humble opinion, a healthy church is an outreach church - but it also meets the spiritual needs of it's members. A church that is only outwards focused will eventually die - people need to be fed as well as be feeders. Evangelism is not the only purpose of the church. As Rick Warren teaches there is also worship, discipleship, fellowship, and ministry. Healthy churches excel at all of these. Struggling churches ignore any of these to their own peril.

A second issue I had was with the use of guilt to try and get people to increase their adherence to a vision/giving/ministry participation. Probably my pastor would say he wasn't using guilt, but that's what it sounded like to me. Guilt of course does work, but only in the short term. As a camp director, I got good advice to never guilt people into coming to camp - it works that summer, but then people avoid you and associate manipulation with service! I definitely think there is time to challenge people and ask them to work according to their priorities. But it should be used rarely and still combined with what really gets people moved to action; inspiration. I want to be inspired to give, inspired to serve, inspired to follow Jesus. If I'm not inspired (and thus choosing to act), but acting out of guilt, what use is it? People want to be invited, not guilted.

The end result was that Jobina and I felt very pressured to give of ourselves by the end. The sad thing is that we have both been thinking about getting more involved in our church, but this type of sermon turned us both off - we almost didn't stay for lunch afterwards, it was so upsetting! We did stay though, and were glad we did. But I know I certainly don't want to get sacrifice for God in my church out of guilt. I want to do it because I think Christ will be pleased with it (and I want to).

I'm pretty sure if it's not fair to rant about a sermon I didn't fully agree with on line, but I wonder what others think on this matter. I suppose I should call my good pastor and ask him to go for coffee to discuss. I didn't talk to him yesterday as I believe in the rule that you should never challenge a pastor's sermon on the day he preaches. Not sure if he's open to feedback in this area, but I guess I could find out. By the way, the message should be posted to our church's website in the next day or two, check it out if you are interested.

May Light increase!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guilt...the lowest form of motivation. I tend to agree with what you're saying. In general I think the church has used guilt too much; to get people to go to church, to get people to read their bibles, pray more, give more, you name it. I believe it is the freedom we have in Christ which truly motivates, too many of us live in bondage to the idea of obligation. I wonder if the services we do out of guilt even leave this earth? Lately I've been motivated by a God who doesn't just love me, but likes me as well. That the God of the universe wants everything to do with me, that He wants to know me, that He delights in me as His child. I think when we change our view of who God is (I mean who we really think He is but won't say out loud) ie: angry and disappointed with us, can we only motivate others and be motivated ourselves to serve the Kingdom.

O.K. I'm getting fired up now, I better stop!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying your blogging Mark!
We've all heard about the 3 problems forever. Maybe the key words here are "vision of the church". Whose vision is it, really? I think sometimes the church governing body agrees on a vision that the rest of the church does not "catch". Often this includes a building expansion &/or numerical growth (50 new people added to our group this year!) etc. (very rarely a "vision" regarding spiritual growth??) Too often the governing body forges ahead with a "vision" without the support of the congregation.
The guilt tactic does not work. You are right Mark, inspiration is what really works. Spiritually alive people who are being spiritually fed, nourished, inspired and encouraged don't need to hear a sermon on what to do....they're already doing it.
I could go on.....don't want to write a book....maybe start my own blog? You may have INSPIRED me to do so!
Love,
Mom G.
PS...in my church I'm hearing rumblings about all the focus being outward and that there is little opportunity to worship together as believers! Go figure!