Sunday, September 23, 2007

Book Reviews: Island of the Lost, Scarlet, Invisible Men

Three brief book reviews of books I've read recently:

Scarlet
Author: Stephen Lawhead.
4.5 ninja stars out of 5

I loved it. Scarlet is the 2nd in the King Raven Trilogy which is Lawhead's rethinking of Robin Hood, Celtic style. Told from the viewpoint of captured outlaw Will Scarlet, it makes for a great tale that kept me engaged from beginning to end. I really think Lawhead's writing is getting better as he ages and the King Raven Trilogy shows that his take on Robin Hood is yet another show of good literary judgment. I felt an affinity with the main character which didn't hurt either. Altogether a fun, enjoyable read that I couldn't put down (thus I went to bed at 1:30 last night). I can't wait for the last book ("Tuck") to come out in 2009.


Invisible Men: Finding, Engaging, and Inspiring Men in Therapy
Author: David Grove
4 ninja stars out of 5

This book was one of my texts for a Gender Issues class at Prov. Ironically, the book was nothing what the course instructor thought it would be (always pre-read your textbooks professors!) and that was the best part. She thought that it was mostly a book on connecting to men in therapy. Really though, it was how at the core of many families problems there is an "invisible" male: a husband/father who is essentially abdicating his role and not standing up to or standing up for his family. Through fascinating case studies, the author shows how once these men are identified and empowered, the families' other problems disappear. Grove (who comes from a family systems background) seems to say that the man fulfilling "manly" type roles is both necessary for him and his families health. This seems to strike a blow against the idea that man and women's roles are completely interchangable - Grove says the man must be assertive and play his role. Fascinating reading for therapists, pastors, or anyone interested in psychology.


Island of the Lost: Shipwrecked at the Edge of the World
Author: Joan Druett
4.2 ninja stars out of 5

This book is kind of like Robinson Crusoe meets Survivor with a touch of Alive for good measure. The true story of two separate parties of unfortunate men who shipwreck on Auckland Island, 285 miles south of New Zealand, Island of the Lost is an inspiring double tale of men coming together in the worst of times and working magic with the precious resources they had and yet also the story of failed leadership in a crisis which results in tragedy. I will never think of hunger the same as I did after reading this story. Especially interesting to me was the fact that it wasn't just a lack of food that nearly did many of these brave souls in, but rather the lack of the right kinds. Druett chronicles what happened to the men as they ate only meat and scurvy began to assault them. I know I think much more seriously about making sure I eat my fruits and vegetables after reading this book.

May Light increase!

2 comments:

RLE said...

Didn't Scarlet just come out on the 19th? Wow, fast reader! That's like me with the Harry Potter books.

Mark said...

Yeah, it just came out. I had it pre-ordered. It really is a good read. I find that when I have lots of reading to do for school, I actually want to read "fun" stuff even more, thus I really do a lot of reading! What you you reading right now?