Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Power of An Invitation

When I got home from work last night, Jobina told me a cute story. On Sunday, I had checked our church mailbox and found an envelope addressed to Riker. Last night he found it: inside was an invitation to his friend Katie Rose’s birthday party. Riker was absolutely overwhelmed. For about 5 minutes he repeatedly carefully took the card out of the envelope and said “Ohhhh . . . awwwwww . . . it’s so cute of Katie Rose . . . It’s so cute of her to invite me.” Obviously he was very touched and when he woke up this morning, the invitation was the first thing on his mind. Invitations are powerful things.

Can you think of the last time you were excited to be invited to something? Do you remember thinking about how nice it was that the person/persons thought highly enough of you to invite you? I can think of two; my friend Harry invited me to play floor hockey with him and his friends. Another time my friend Kevin invited me to go on a canoe trip in Northern Manitoba. Sadly, I could not attend either of these (I dearly would have liked to - curse my crazy schedule!) but I was touched for two reasons. First, they were inviting me to something I enjoyed. Secondly (and most importantly) the person wanted me there - they specifically wanted me to attend and be there with them. I felt wanted, special, and liked.

Who could you invite to something this week? It may be something simple like going out for coffee, going to a movie, or going for a bike ride. Or maybe it’s a bit more; inviting someone to your church, to a meal in your home, or to join a group that you attend. Your invitation might be the most encouraging thing you can give them.

May Light increase!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would your family like to come for a meal on the weekend? Or are you working? This week we're doing this 24/7 prayer room and I go everyday from 6-7 p.m. this week is out, so if the weekend doesn't work we could find a time next week.

Or...you guys could find a babysitter and come after kids are in bed and we could play dutch blitz...we have such fun!! (no pioneer game!)

Jacquie

Mark said...

Wow, this invitation things works great! I'll get Jobina to call you. Thanks Jacquie!