Saturday, November 10, 2007

Learning By Looking Forward and Backward

Everyone (well almost everyone) is attempting to learn new things. There are several ways to do this, but today I was thinking about learning by looking both forward and backward.

First consider learning by looking forward. In counseling and psychology research is always going on and attempting to discover new ways of understanding why humans do, think, and feel the ways they do. Newer is better because newer is based on new theories, new information, and newer research. In psychology, most of which is based on evidence based results, looking forward is the key to remaining fresh and applying the newest and most proven interventions to those we are seeking to help. In a counseling course, if a textbook is more then 8 years old it's almost considered obsolete. There are exceptions of course, but generally this seems true to me.

Second, consider learning by looking backwards. In theology, looking forward is certainly applied, but also just as important is looking backwards. Theology is in many ways not as "results oriented" as psychology and some of the greatest theological ideas are not the newest ones but the oldest. In theology it seems we must often be reminded of the old truths again and again. One of the texts for my current theology course that I'm taking is 100 years old. The central and most reliable text of theology is actually over 1900 years old (the New Testament)! Newer in theology is not necessarily better. History is another subject where we can learn by looking backwards. What can history teach us about leadership? Or how about politics, philosophy, economics, religion, relationships, art, or culture? In history we find the lessons of the past repeating themselves and there is much to learn from them.

So . . . where do you spend most of your time learning; looking forward or backward? If you only choose to look one way you will eventually fall into error. The past it too rich a mine of wisdom to ignore and yet if we try to only look backwards we will find it difficult to find and embrace new and better ideas. I tend to mostly look forward and yet I'm realizing I need to look backwards as well. Reading through the O.T. this month I have been struck with the lessons from the past that are hitting me hard - and need to be applied to my present. If you are stuck only looking forward or backward, why not balance it out a little?

OK, I'm tired so I hope this made sense. I'm off to bed.

May Light increase!

No comments: