Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Really Strange Dream

Last night I had a strange dream. It wasn't really coherent and I can't remember most of it, but I thought I'd share what I remember seeing and feeling. First of all, it began with me and some other people making a "fort" in my parent's back 40. It was pretty basic, made up of old boards (like from a fence). I dreamed that for some reason my Dad and I were going to go out there and stay overnight. Suddenly it was winter and we were both congratulating ourselves on how tough we were to winter camp and how other people weren't as tough as us.

Everything went hazy for awhile and then instead of going out to the fort, I was going out to a cabin on a lake. To get to the cabin we (my friends and I) had to canoe down a long river to get to the lake, then we had to hug the edge of the lake until we got to the cabin. For some reason my friend Kenton came after us in his own canoe a little while later with two dogs. I was very concerned the two dogs would fight with another dog that was already there but they didn't. I was also concerned that after such a long journey I had forgotten the keys. Somehow while I was worrying about this someone opened the door and went inside. When I went around the back of the cabin to explore I discovered that there was a road about 20 feet in back of the cabin and we could have just driven right up to it. This made me angry; angry because it was could have so much easier to get there and angry because we were no longer as isolated in the wilderness as I had hoped (ironically I was angry at both things at the same time).

Somehow it was brought to my attention that I was suffering from some debilitating disease that was slowly inhibiting one side of my body from working. Thus I was walking strangely, talking strangely, and I began considering my own mortality (as well as my lack of compassion for those with similar diseases in the past). I remember feeling overwhelmed with the knowledge that I had an untreatable disease and that I couldn't do what I was used to doing. Sad, I went outside to think.

Outside, I noticed a creek beside our cabin with people swimming in it. The water was not as clear as the lake's, but it looked warmer and more inviting. I swam around for awhile noticing the fish and crayfish in the creek. There was some sort of structure in the middle which I climbed up on sat on, thinking about my future and thinking about how short men's lives can be. Slowly, I began to accept my lot in life and I began to relax.

Then I woke up. It was morning and the children were climbing all over me. It took me a moment to realize that I did not actually have this disease and that I wasn't at the cabin. I felt relieved, yet sad that this wonderful place I was at didn't really exist, except in my dreams.

So . . . what do you think? Think it's significant? Ever had a weird dream like this?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had some trippy dreams like that myself. I don't remember much of them; how soon did you jot this down after waking up? I find the details tend to fade the longer you're awake.

I still have fond memories though of the dream where I was web-swinging from the hydro poles to get to Arborg...

:)

Jay

. said...

i read your dream post this morning and ahve been thinking bout it all day. dunno why, exactly. i wonder if there is something significant in there that you are supposed to realize?

Mark said...

Hi Dayna. Yes, perhaps it is significant. Very significant! On the other hand, it may not mean anything at all.

I think it might have to do with the fact that I've been really pining away for the outdoors lately. I miss it. I miss living in the country and I miss the forest. Combine that with my thinking about family lately, my own mortality, my need to get away, and the Billy Graham video I watched the night before (Billy Graham has Parkinsons I believe - a debilitating disease) and voila - you get my dream. It might be spiritual, I'm not sure. Thanks for commenting Dayna!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.