Thursday, November 29, 2007

More Thoughts on "Poisoned"

A little while ago I wrote 2 posts called "Poisoned" in which I talked about what happens when we develop a poisoned view of someone and how that affects us. One of my good friend J sent me an email and I thought his words were wise, but I had forgotten to publish them. Anywhere, here they are:

regarding your poisoned post: This is an interesting post Mark.

A few thoughts and what not that I have gathered have been from a different stand point but may draw interesting parallels to your thoughts.
From a sales stand point. Which may or may not be more manipulative, but likely just the same. Customers that are the most aggressive and the most pushy tend to get under the sales guys nerves. What happens eventually is that the customer is pushed aside, and when he comes into the store he is ignored, perhaps even abused. He becomes a bit of a joke after a while. Inevitably it becomes a senior staffs responsibility to deal with them. In the church this would equate to the elders or the more patient members to look after or counsel him.

Something interesting happens when you change your attitude towards these problem people / customers. They become very loyal to you. Once you change your attitude your brain creates anti body's to the undesirables present in your interactions. Rather than a chore, it becomes a pleasure dealing with them. Knowing that you have that special touch that can calm the beast. You learn to take their misgivings with a grain of salt and still get to milk them for the money that they want/need/ or you want them to spend. Not sure exactly how the 'milking' part moves over into real life but I'm sure it does somewhere.


Anyways... thanks for the thoughts.
Catch ya later.

"J" might never say this about himself, but he is truly an excellent salesman. He is in the top 1% of his field. I find myself buying from him even when I know he is using those powers on me! His insight on changing his attitude towards people (and how that profits him) shows why he is so good. Learn from him!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's interesting, actually, because I find that in working with children for many years it works very much the same way. Problem children I have worked with seem to have more respect for 'just me' because I have committed to seeing past their 'problems'...respect them and help them. They tend to buck against others attempts. Just an observation than may not fit across the board.