Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ancora Imparo


"Ancora imparao." (Latin, translated means "I am still learning" - Michaelangelo.

This is one of my favorite quotes. It is attributed to Michaelangelo who said it at the end of his life. Even though he was genius and had contributed much to the world and even though he was not far from mortality, he chose to keep on learning. This inspires me. I never want to think that I've learned all that I need to. As a Christ-follower I never want to think I've learned enough about theology and understanding God. I find those who have stopped learning . . . dangerous. As a counselor - same thing. As a parent, husband, investor, etcetera etcetera . . . I want to choose to keep on learning.

Lately I purchased Jobina a new toy (a pink iPod shuffle) and I got myself one at the same time (a tiny orange one and only $59 each if you buy refurbished directly through Apple). I thought it would be nice to listen to music but one of the surprise results is that I am learning more. You see, iTunes has this cool podcast directory where there are literally thousands of different audio and video podcasts on tons of different subjects. You can subscribe to them, download them, and then upload them to your iPod. I'm currently going through a real estate investing course but there are courses on everything from cooking, to theology, to self-help, to parenting, etc. Every topic under the sun. And it's all free! I find that if I load up my iPod with stuff and go for a walk, this is an optimal way for me to learn and get exercise at the same time. The best thing is that new ideas get me excited, which makes me walk/run faster; more so then even listening to music. I now look forward to excercising and miss it when I'm not able to go.

How are you currently "sharpening the saw" as Franklin Covey says? What are you learning about and keeping your mind sharp with? If it's nothing, I encourage you to take action and choose to learn something, something that would enjoy learning. Learning is a habit and a discipline, but it should also be fun. Well, I must go - I've gotta go to school (more learning).

May Light increase!

No comments: