Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mountain Biking Speed Record Broken - On Snow

I don't usually like to post two videos in a row (as a nod to any dial up readers), but this one was just so impressive. Also, it's only 56 seconds long so if even dial up people should be able to watch it if they have a few minutes to let it load.


First, just let me say that what this guy accomplished - that's awesome! On a slighter deeper note though it makes me wonder - is a person insane to try to do something like this? What amount of risk (and certainly serious harm or death was possible here) does there have to be in order for a person to be considered "not right in the head?" Or can one be perfectly rational and mentally healthy but put one's life on the line? Maybe I'm being too judgmental, trying to assume that I can judge a person's motives and if they don't line up with what I think are acceptable, I write them off as insane. After all, if he was risking his life for a noble cause I'd say he's a hero. If he's doing it just because he wants to see if it's possible (or for money/fame), then I consider him insane. That's not very nice of me. I should beg this man's forgiveness. Then I will ask if I can borrow his bike.

By the way, if you want to see a person attempt the record and not make it, hit the link below. Especially if you'd like to hear excited Japanese commentary at the same time!

Video: Speed Bike Gone Wrong

May Light increase!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the speed record had never been attempted on snow, does that mean this new record counts as the surface is so different? Or is surface not an issue. You could argue that the snow gave him an additional advantage.

You could also argue this guy is nuts...

JBo