Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Problem With Zeal

I was discussing the iPhone with a guy at work when another waiter came by and asked us what we were talking about. The new guy began telling us about all the things he loved about this new product and how much he wanted one. "You must really like Apple," I said. "Love them? "No way," he replied. "I hate Apple!"

"Really?" I said confused. "Why?"

"The same reason I hate Christian's. Apple people are so zealous for their product that come across as super annoying to everyone around them. It's the same with Christians, you just can't have a rational conversation. They are so excited about their "product" that they can't have a conversation with you - it's them telling you about how awesome it is and if you try to critique their precious company/religion, they can't handle it. They talk at you, not to you!"

As both a self-confessed Christ follower and Apple fanboy, I was feeling a little defensive. But I had to agree with him. Mac zealots and Christians are often guilty as charged - great at sharing the "faith" but horrible at looking at it objectively. We also are famous for alienating those who question any of our "beliefs." Worse, we often annoy those close to us as we attempt to share with them.

The waiter was trying to pin such behavior on Christians and Apple zealots only, but he had to agree that there are atheist zealots and PC zealots as well. But I couldn't stop thinking about what he said. If as a Apple user I am totally convinced that Apple products are the best out there, why do I have this overwhelming need to make others think the way I do? Why can't I handle them challenging my beliefs? Is it the end of the world if they don't believe what I do? Do I give people the freedom to not choose what I have chosen?

When it comes to faith, we are commanded to share Christ with others. But do we allow people the freedom to reject it? Do we sacrifice the basic rules of communication (listening, seeking to understand others, agreeing to disagree, not being rude)? Does the end (someone coming to Christ) justify the means (being annoying, beligerant, rude, making people angry, refusing to listen to others opinions, etc). Would you listen to someone if they treated you like this? Why do some Christians expect unbelievers to respond to it? Because we have the Holy Spirit on our side? If so, this is twisted logic. I think the antidote to unrestrained zeal has to do with love for God and our neighbors. It's not about us and being right about God. It's about God and we need to humbly remember that people can choose what they will. Are you OK with that?

May Light increase!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah i'm okay with people choosing what they want

Anonymous said...

Since I moved away from "bible-belt" Manitoba I would have very few people to talk to if I only tried to surround myself with Christians. It is very difficult not to become defensive when my Faith is rebuked or challenged. It is a constant struggle. If I have built a relationship with someone I find that what works for me is a more compassionate approach like the "listening" you speak of. However after a "relationship" has been developed and if I'm not welcome to share my beliefs it's tempting to alienate those people. But I think there's something very wrong about that too. Those people simply go on my prayer list. And maybe one day they'll open the door and ask me more about my Faith.

Now when it comes to the Apple zealots, he took the words right out of my mouth. That is just simply annoying. *ducking for cover* :P

Mark said...

Yes! Somehow we must be able to have the freedom to share our faith with others and yet afford them the freedom to reject it. As you stated Stacey, we don't like it when others don't make us comfortable to share (respectfully) we want to alienate them. This is of course what we do to others when we refuse to take "not for me" as an answer. As Christians I think we need to be honest about how we act and take the "evangelistic log" out of our own eyes!

As for Apple zealots, yes, I admit many of us not only think Apple is the best but also do not hide our disdain for any other choices. I have been convicted about this and repent in ashes!

(I still believe choosing Apple is a very wise decision. They aren't perfect though and I have to sometimes remind myself about that. I just have to (deep breath) accept it when people choose PC's and even like them more then Macs. I'm working on it!)

Anonymous said...

My personal view is I don't want someone to relentlessly push their view on me, and in return I won't do the same. Instead I prefer to try and set an example by my actions. I'm by no means saying I'm a perfect example, but I know I would go on the defensive immediately if someone got in my face about their beliefs.

And I still remember your horror Mark when I said I recommended my Grandpa buy a PC instead of a Mac (even though I love my Mac) :)

JBo