Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why Did You Get Drunk For The First Time?

Yesterday I was bored at work, so I asked people one of my infamous random questions: "When you got drunk for the first time, what was your reason?" Notice that I didn't say "if" as drunkeness has been experienced by the majority of North American adults, especially those who work in the restaurant business.

One of the 16 year old bussers looked at me and said "I don't have reason, I just do it." I laughed. "We don't do anything without a reason," I said. My friend Cole agreed, "Everything is a choice and you are the one who makes it." So why do people make that initial choice? What is their motivation?

So with a little therapeutic probing, here are some answers:

1. To fit in and be accepted.
2. To be "cool."
3. To see what it was like (curiosity).
4. Peer pressure.
5. To cope with something bad or stressful.
6. Um, it was an "accident."
7. To rebel against my family/friends/upbringing/church.
8. To alleviate boredom.
9. To increase sexual virility/attractiveness.
10. To find one's "limits."
11. To increase social skills.

Anyone think of any other reasons? I thought it was interesting that so many people when asked had never really thought about it. When you honestly look at what motivates you to do something, you arrive at the doorstep of personal enlightenment. Sometime later I'll do a series on the topic of alcohol . . . think of this as a teaser.

May Light increase!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what other reasons there may be. I don't drink so I don't have a personal reason to tell you!

Unless you count wine tasting at the OG (which I hated). Then my reason is "Work made me doe it". :)

(Actually, the trainer said that I didn't have to if I didn't want to but I wanted to see if I could detect all the subtle differences between wines she was talking about. All I tasted was the alcohol)

JBo

Chad said...

Well I'm turning 18 tomorrow which has kinda fueled this topic.
honestly I dont know what beer tastes like, I have drank maybe 1 full glass of wine in my life, and a gulp of peach schnapps.
But im not against alcohol, i'm not against drinking, I think drunkenness can be a huge stumbling block.
I think I might try beer tomorrow haha, purely out of curiosity.

Mark said...

Hey, happy birthday Chad!

Anonymous said...

lol "to increase sexual virility/attractiveness". Sorry that reason just made me giggle. I've never met a drunk I found attractive! :P