Friday, October 26, 2007

I Hate Cancer: Part 2

“Anything is possible. You can be told that you have a 90-percent chance or a 50-percent chance or a 1-percent chance, but you have to believe, and you have to fight.”

- Lance Armstrong, Tour of France Winner, Cancer Survivor




I hate cancer, but the way people choose to do cancer can be totally inspiring. Having cancer is going to war it seems, a fight. Part of the battle is against the cancer and part of it is against yourself. Sometimes, I think it can even be against God. War (sorry my pacifist friends) can be fought well or poorly. Although every person who has cancer has times of euphoria, anger, and deep-in-the-pit despair, some people seem to find a strength within them and rise to the occasion. They find God, peace, strength, and a positive spirit. I don't know how they do it, but I've seen it. I've literally seen someone's battle with cancer inspire hundreds of people with their authenticity, faith, and honesty. My friend Ramona has inspired so many people including myself (check out her battle with cancer here).

One of our youth sponsors Lorna also has an amazing story about her time with cancer and in it she tells people (just as other cancer survivors do) that cancer changes you. Something profound happens to these people. They will never be the same again. So yes, cancer is hell, but God can in spite of it even use it to inspire and change people. If you would like to leave the name of someone you know has cancer in the comments section, I (and maybe some others) will pray for them. Never give up hope.

May Light increase!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loren
Lynn's mom
Larry

Jobina said...

Renee
Auntie Thelma
Mr.Friesen
Helen

Anonymous said...

Heather