Saturday, October 20, 2007

Quote: Taking Off Our Armor

"It is true that no one can harm the person who wears armor. But no one can help him, either." -Kristin Hunter

I really found the above quote to be profound. As a counselor I see this all the time. A lot of garbage happens to a person (you wouldn't believe some people's personal stories) and so to cope we put on armor to protect ourselves. Call it what you will; defense mechanisms, detaching, shutting down, etc. All of these are ways of putting up armor so that we can't be hurt anymore.

Once you've got armor on, it's difficult to take it off, even if you know you need to. This is what makes a counselor's job so hard. We have to gently convince people that to get to the wound, they have to dispense from what has protected them from further harm. It takes a lot of courage to do this and I'm always impressed when someone does it. I know that it wasn't easy.

I want to take this quote to heart myself as well. What's my armor? Hmmm . . . I'll have to reflect on that one for awhile. What's yours? Something to think about.

May Light increase!

2 comments:

The Duecks said...

Please pray for Renee. Monique took her to the hospital this evening

Mark said...

I will! Please let us know how things go. . .