Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Expelled: Intelligent Design Fights Back?

An interesting looking movie/documentary is coming out next month:



Ben Stein is doing an "expose" on the scientific community's oppression of all scientists and theories that question Darwinism. It looks compelling. Here is an extended trailer if you're interested for more (or go to the expelledthemovie.com website for details on this project).

I have mixed feelings about what this movie is trying to do. The things I like about the movie: they are attempting to point out biases in the scientific community, the movie tells the stories of oppressed scientists, and Ben Stein is standing up for something that he believes in (even though it will bring him a lot of ridicule). The things I worry about; can a documentary (any documentary) really do justice to such a complex issues? It doesn't seem right to discredit a theory just because of its historical context (old imperialistic Britain), and the sensational/conspiracy theory vibe that is the medium seems subversive. These things aside, it will be interesting to see how people react after watching it (if people watch it).

May Light increase!

3 comments:

Michele said...

I love Ben Stein. I'll be interested to see the whole documentary when it comes out!

Lindsey Dueck said...

I tried to comment a while ago on your post about petstores but it all got deleted so here it goes!

That was a good post! That is something I am passionate about. When I was younger I didn't know where else you could get a puppy other than a pet store, but as I have researched and learned as a dog buyer and breeder, I see that was totally wrong. No resposible breeder would EVER let their puppies be sold in a petstore. The ones that do are just out to make money, they don't care about the health or temperment of the dogs. Not to mention they jack up the price. For the price you would pay for an ill-bred pet at the petstore you could buy a papered pet of the same breed that comes with a health guarantee! A chihuahua is no less than 1200 bucks in petstores! The most I have ever paid for my chihuahuas is 700, and that is with papers and a champion background and a health guarantee.

They like to call them "hybirds" to make them sound good, but that is just a fancy name for crossbreed or unregistered. Most people I know who have bought pets from the petstores have done so because they feel sorry for them. But buying that dog enforces the stores to bring in even more dogs to sell and make them suffer as well. I often go in to see the puppies at petstores, I am not sure why, but when I do I ALWAYS see ones that are sick and not well taken care of! I can't believe other people don't notice it more often. One person asked and employee once, and they said the puppy was just resting...

I think it is time for people to boycott petstores and start buying from people who actually care about the dogs they are bringing into the world, not just about the money. It makes me sick. I wish this could be banned. That's why I don't shop at Petland, just at Petcetera who only adopt out cats and dogs from shelters.

Mark said...

Wow Lindsey, thanks for your thoughts! Obviously you are quite passionate about the subject. You underlined what I was saying; we can't keep feeding the monster by continuing to make purchases at these stores. Also, thanks for the petcetra insight, I will keep that in mind in case we ever get a pet and have to get food.