Monday, January 28, 2008

TGIM

We were coming back from staying overnight at my parent's house this morning. Jobina was driving and in our family whoever drives gets to choose what we listen to. Jobina was driving and so I was being forced to listen to CHVN, a local Christian music station. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea of Christian music stations. But I find CHVN to be so "happy" that it literally makes me feel ill. The message I get is "if you are a Christian you'll be excessively happy all the time, just like us!" The whole concept of "suffering" is usually pooh poohed, ignored, or given a positive spin. It might just be me, but if feels inauthentic. Sure faith in Christ is a reason to be joyous, but life itself is filled with both up and downs. Listening to CHVN for too long gets me agitated.

Anyway, this morning one of those ultra-cheery, always happy radio hosts was on and said something was stereotypically super positive but for some reason her words landed on me. She said she wanted to start a revolution of TGIM, "thank goodness it's Monday." Instead of whining all the time about how bad Monday's are, we should celebrate Monday excitedly as a time to reengage normal life and tackle all the challenges and work that come our way. The week is full of promise, so let's get to it.

At first I wanted to reject what she was saying simply because it was from CHVN, but I decided to accept it instead. I like the idea of changing our perception of something that is usually bad into something good. Reframing a bad day as a potentially good one is something that I agree with. I'm choosing to celebrate the start of a new week. TGIM everyone.

May Light increase!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the music on CHVN to be a little too pop for my tastes, but the TGIM isn't that bad of an idea.

To be honest, I've thought before that instead of workplaces having casual Fridays, what about casual Mondays instead? It would be a nice way to ease your way into the week.

Fortunately for me now every day is casual day. I do not miss my various uniforms at all. :)

Jay
-Even wears hats to work now!

Anonymous said...

can't stand the christianese on chvn

Anonymous said...

My Mom never liked Mondays. Her diaries are full of notations like "Blue Monday"... I don't like Mondays much. And then one Monday she wrote "Blue Monday" I never did like Monday, but then they've been around for a long time, haven't they?! This was her way of resigning herself to the fact that most of her friends considered Monday a day to do laundry, bake or whatever they had designated Monday to be. My Mom however was a bit of a free spirit and didn't fall into that "trap" of having to do the same thing on the same day of every week. She enjoyed spontaneity. Most times she would find something interesting to do to 'extend her weekend' to Tuesday! I think I take after my Mom!!
PS...I had a GREAT day, reading, coffee with a friend, lunch with my man! errands, etc. Different from any other Monday which are different every week!

Jobina said...

glad you could get SOMETHING out of such a horrible experience (aka. listening to CHVN)!
TGIM Sweetie!

Michele said...

I love the concept of TGIM! That's a great idea! John and I have the same issues with listening to the Christian Radio Station in Lethbridge. I tell him it's work related. I'm listening for cool new songs to try at church!