Friday, January 18, 2008

My Son, The Sailor, My Son, The King

Riker is in kindergarten (French Immersion actually) and so we are daily treated with tales from school. For instance, the other day I was walking to the bank with Riker and he matter-of-factly asked "Dad, what's a motherf***er?" I was shocked, but attempted my best therapeutic calm. "Um, where did you hear that," I asked innocently although I was seething inside. "My friend taught me." Taught you? That's not what I'm sending you to school for! Arghhh! What followed was a difficult conversation to say the least. How do you explain what that means to a 5 year old? I hate the helpless feeling I get when I think off all the evil he is learning from his classmates. You want to protect your kids from it but you can't. The illusion that I can control my kid's socialization took another big hit. He's learning to curse like a sailor way earlier then his mother even did!

Another interesting development is that my son is attempting to become a monarch. Apparently at school he has asked the other kids (peasants?) to refer to him as their king. The day before he got them to give him drawings that showed him as king. Today they actually made him a crown (it's quite nice actually) and they obey his commands. Though I think Jobina is a bit concerned, I can only smile. I remember another little boy who wanted to be king (actually ruler of the world) and he turned out OK. I just hope I don't have to call Riker "you majesty" too much longer.

May Light increase!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I enjoyed playing with the castle and dragon in Kindergarten, I certainly never ordered others to refer to me as their king. And you did the same thing?

Something my dad instilled in me at a young age was that I should set an example. Hopefully you can teach Riker about not-cursing and he can be an example to the other kids.

Hopefully.

Jay

Michele said...

Oooo Mark. It is really hard to hear your children ask you things like that. I remember when it happened to me. Now Declan tries to spell them because he thinks this way he won't get into trouble. The other day he told me that something his friend said was just C-A-R-P. When I asked him what that spelled, he said something a little different. After I choked back the guffaw that was coming, I told him that spelling things like that is also against the rules. Ahhhh kids...

Mark said...

When I was a kid I used to sit around with some of my friends with a map of the world. Appointing myself as "chief despot," I would carve out choice areas of the world to be under my control and then let my friends fight over the other parts. I also designed an underground bunker (my lair?) where I could control things from. I think my boy has come by his zeal for global domination honestly!

Anonymous said...

you mean jobina knows how to swear? and like the old saying goes like father like son.

Anonymous said...

EEWWWW! Maybe Nana and Papa should share the blame? When the grandkids are at our house they have been told (a FEW times) that they are royalty in our home. The boys can be kings and the girls can be princesses. We should have known Riker would soon use this honor to his advantage!! I'm just surprised he he didn't think of it at our house!
Guilty
Nana
PS....ya gotta admit it's pretty funny!