Friday, September 12, 2008

The Ballad of Ratface

"Judge not that ye be not judged . . ."
- Jesus, Matthew 7:1

It's been awhile since I shared a waitering story so here goes. First a little prologue thought; if you tip poorly, treat servers ignorantly, or do illogical things in a restaurant . . . servers will notice. And they will tell others. And if you return to the restaurant a few more times (sometimes only more time) the servers will give you a nickname. Trust me, you don't want this.

I remember serving a lady known as "the seafood lady." Her trick was to always come in with a friend, let the server know she was severely allergic to seafood, and then her friend would order seafood. Seriously, this happened every time. So of course the kitchen would go to great lengths to make sure that everything that cooked the seafood lady's meal was uncontaminated with anything fishy. Great lengths. Eventually when the food was brought out (on separate tray's) the two ladies would begin to eat. The server would check in and everything seemed well. A little later the seafood lady would excuse herself and go to the ladies room. When she got back she always had a rash on her neck - an allergic reaction to seafood. Apparently she did this by scratching her neck while in the washroom. She almost always got her meal for free!

Another guy was know as "the chicken marsala guy." He was a man of Indian origin and although he was a nice man his accent was so thick that no one could understand him. Imagine trying to take a man's elaborate order (as he always customized his entire meal) and asking him to repeat it over and over again until you get so sick of asking him so you just "guess" what he wants. Every server's nightmare.

One regular at our restaurant caused anger just by showing up at the front door. Dubbed "Twoonie Terry," this gentleman only tipped $2, no matter how big his bill was or how good his service was. I have never seen servers as rude to a person as they were to this man. Knowing how much exactly (and it's usually way less the standard) a tip you are going to get is an instant way to get servers testy. I don't like to admit it but I have seen this man come in and prayed that God would let him get seated in my section. These days the hostesses usually give him to the newer servers who don't yet know him. It's sad to see the crushed look on their face when they go check the table after a meal - but you are so glad it wasn't you!

Anyway, fast forward to tonight. I had just started serving a two top and went to punch in their drink orders when Johnny came up to me grinning. "Do you know who you're serving? You got 'Ratface.'" Johnny snickered at me. "I served him a little while ago. I gave him amazing service. No problems at all, the food was great, service was perfect. He didn't even give me 10%!" I won't go into the details on how his nickname came about - kids can be so cruel. Now Johnny is a really, really good server. He always makes a lot of money. Not a good sign for me. Another server Lisa also chimed in that she too had served the ratman. Ratface had apparently put a hair in his food and pretended it had been there all along. Even after the kitchen had made him a new one he had still wanted it for free! He then tipped her poorly. Lisa and Johnny both laughed at me and wished me "luck." Johnny outright said that if he couldn't even make 10 percent there was no hope for me. I thanked them for their encouragment.

What to do? Some servers would give up at this point and give these people terrible service because they don't expect a tip. Other might just do the opposite - suck up like crazy and try to give the best service they've ever given. I thought about both of these strategies. The pressure to go along with the judgment against him was very strong, but I steeled myself and decided to do something different. Trying to erase the words about this man from my mind, I decided to give good service, not react to anything ignorant, and try to be my authentic self (in other words not do anything out of the ordinary). Good, but not over the top service. "I will not prejudge you! I will not write you off Ratface!" I whispered to myself.

The meal went off without a hitch. The couple was actually quite nice and even laughed at some of my conservative jokes near the end of the meal. The only thing out of the ordinary was that I gave them double the amount of mints I usually do. Later when I went back to the table to pick up their credit card slip I was shocked: they'd left me almost 20%. Yes! Usually I don't discuss my tips with anyone, but of course I had to show this off to Johnny and Lisa. They were suitably impressed and a little annoyed. I explained to them that it was because "I had skills." Mostly though I think it was a combination of chemistry, luck, decent service, and the refusal to give into a label. Ratface had been tamed! But more importantly, so had my mind, which was much more important.

Moral of this story; Don't judge people or listen to other people's judgments - it's social and moral laziness - you need to figure people out for yourself. Treat them based not on their appearances, descriptions, or actions. Treat them as they ought to be treated. If you're not sure about what that would look like, read the Gospels.

May Light increase!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Congratulations at taming the Ratface! It is amazing how many times I have heard nasty stories about people only to find that they were truly wonderful people to get to know. I have been blessed with some great friendships with people who had horrible things said about them behind their backs. Good for you for not giving in to that!!

Michele

Pamela said...

Hi, I have wandered to your blog a few times via Jobina's blog and just had to add a comment to this post. I am in the last year of my Education degree. I had a 1 week practicum block during the first week of school and the first 2 days were filled with meetings before the students arrived later in the week. There is a student in my class with a reputation and I was disheartened and disappointed when teachers were already passing their judgment of this student on to me before I even met this child. I was already feeling overwhelmed with compassion for this child before I even met him just from the stories I heard. I made the decision that I will not let their opinions sway me and that I will make an extra effort to connect with this student over the coming year. I think that some teachers felt that they were doing me a favour by 'warning' me about him so that I am not entering the classroom ignorant of what had happened in the past, but I really felt they were writing him off and trying to make me do the same. No child deserves coming into a classroom where the teacher has given up on him. Great post, thanks for sharing.

Elayne said...

Mark.... love stories like this! Bless you for 'doing to others as you would have them do to you' and giving that Rat a chance!! God knows how much money you need at the end of the month.
Pamela....you are going to be an amazing teacher. This world needs an influx of Pamela's!! God bless you!

Mark said...

Hi Pamela, thanks for stopping by. Well done with your student. It reminds me of when I was a camp counselor my first year. We'd always get lists of our campers the day before they'd arrive. When everyone saw that I had "Warren" they laughed at me and told me he was the most challenging kid ever. I was terrified. He turned out to be a great kid and I didn't have any problems at all with him. He gave me a can of 7-up as a present and I've kept it (unopened) on my bookshelf as a souvenir and reminder ever since.

Anonymous said...

Great story!
I remember when I was doing my nurses training in Germany and I was working in the gynecology (you have to know that there are ONLY female nurses working there and that means nurses talking behind each others back) So I was warned by other students about this one nurse who they called the "Dragon" because she treated every student bad and made a lot of them cry. I had nightmares before I started working there, but then decided not to let something that other people said affect the way I was thinking about her or any of the other nurses. When she treated me bad I prayed and kept being friendly to her. After a while she noticed that and changed the way she treated me. We both got along great. When I was done there she said that I was the best student they ever had.