Monday, September 29, 2008

Stumbling Onto A Paddler's Sacred Ground

Two Sunday's ago our little family went for a road trip. We decided to check out the North Kildonan part of the city (close to Riverbend, my workplace) and I wanted to show the family a small park overlooking the river called Bronx Park. After we all got out Riker rushed out to explore, followed by the girls and I came last. Jobina and Riker were looking intently at a monument. "Have you seen this?" said Jobina. On an earlier visit when I had discovered it, I had just briefly biked through it and hadn't noticed the monument at all. I was very surprised to see this (click to enlarge if you have trouble reading it):


I was shocked! This was the very location where one of most epic canoe trips ever taken was begun: Don and Dana Starkell's paddle to the amazon. From this very spot, the two men (plus another Dana's brother who eventually dropped out) canoed an astonishing 12,000 miles to the mouth of the Amazon river in Brazil. Along the way, these two guys from North Kildonan were arrested, shot at, taken for spies, and set upon by pirates. They lived through hurricanes, food poisoning, psychological distress, and near starvation. I've blogged about this book before (check out my review) and believe it to be one of the greatest adventure tales of all time (certainly the greatest paddling tale). It should be required reading for every Manitoban.

Anyway, here I was, standing on sacred ground. I crept down to the rivers' edge and then I saw it; the "big sewerpipe that had served as our wharf." It was a magical moment. I couldn't help but imagine what it must have been like to be here on June 1st, 1980 watching the Starkell's push off into the current beginning their two year paddling odyssey. I'm so glad the city put up something to mark their accomplishment. It also reminded me of the power of an idea and how anyone can have an amazing adventure. I must never stop dreaming - or planning.



May Light increase!

6 comments:

Chad said...

oh man i should go see that, i still cant comprehend how they survived.

Mark said...

It's pretty inspiring Chad, I'm not going to lie to you. The park itself is small and unimpressive, but to think that the guys camped out there the night before leaving and brought their canoe over from their house (a few blocks away) is pretty cool! Even the most modest of places can be the start of an amazing adventure . . .

Jobina said...

I thought it was called senior's park...

Mark said...

Hmmm . . . I'll have to check today when I go to Riverbend . . .

Terry L said...

it says seniors park on the plaque, in the pic you posted.

Mark said...

You are right, although when the guys started there journey I believe it was still called Bronx Park (as is the community center being built across the street).