Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Steel is Real

Today I did something that I've been wanting to do for awhile: I biked to work. Work being a meeting at Riverbend which is located on Henderson Highway. After biking from Gimli to Winnipeg I didn't really have anything but a psychological barrier to stop me. Today Jobina needed the van and it was a perfect day - no reason not to. It takes me about half an hour to drive and today I biked it in about 55 minutes (against wind most of the way I'll have you know). I can't describe how good it felt knowing that I had not burnt a drop of gas. Beautiful. Let me encourage you to try it. You'll be smiling all day afterwords. An "earth-friendly, weight-burning, joy-of-biking, healthy lifestyle" kind of smile that is!

On the way home I took the time to meander around and go exploring. Exploring on a bike is one of the most enjoyable things I can do in the city. In my wanderings I biked a few blocks south of Talbot Street (a somewhat rougher area) and suddenly found myself in manicured gardens overlooking the river. It was like I had entered another dimension. When you're on bike and you randomly turn down streets you discover cool stuff like this and more. I took a shortcut on my way back from church the other day and found hidden by the river a massive castle like structure called "Castle On The Seine." Absolutely amazing stonework outside with statues and ornate carvings. It looked like it should be in Paris or Rome. I found it by just thinking "I wonder where this path goes?" and voila - new discoveries.

As much as I enjoyed my ride I'm beginning to realize I'm going to either have to spend some money on my antiquated bike or get a new one. I kind of don't want to though because I really like the feel of my bike. It has a chromoly (steel) frame which is pretty rare these days. Most mountain bike frames are made of aluminum which is lighter but is so stiff that it can feel jarring. A good steel frame is heavier but has just a touch of "give," which makes for a much more pleasant ride. Most long distance touring bicycles are still made out of steel. I can't imagine going back to aluminum now (even if I got full suspension which I don't want). It's true: steel is real (I feel so old school). Maybe I should buy a slightly used, older steel mountain bike. Anyone got one kicking around? Or any suggestions on a newer steel bike that might work for me? Also, what's stopping you from biking more? If you have a bike, use it. Your body, the earth, and possibly even your spouse will thank you for it.

May Light increase!

4 comments:

Jay Boaz said...

I know that a barrier for some biking to work is the lack of a shower at the workplace. I know that part of having a "green" workplace is having a shower available for staff who chose to bike or jog to work.

When I lived in the city, I tried biking to work at the Radisson. The distance wasn't the problem (took me about 45 minutes or so), but I do not feel safe biking on Winnipeg streets, especially when I get downtown. Sometimes I did bike to the Olive Garden when I worked there, but that was down more residential roads (and it was a short enough ride I didn't work up a sweat getting there).

Part of me is tempted to try bike to work now, but I would be so stinky and gross by the time I got here it wouldn't be good.

Jay

Mark said...

Hey Jay. I hear you. No one wants to be sweaty at work. Of course as a rec director biking to work would be the ultimate practice-what-you-preach) thing if you could solve the shower problem. What about using the showers at the friendship center? The other option would be to just pedal very, very slowly thus avoiding sweat! On a personal note, we miss you guys. Hopefully we'll get a chance to come your way (or you ours) sometime in the next couple of weeks. Take care my friend!

Jay Boaz said...

I have realized the example I'd be setting by biking, but the other reality is I quite often need my car at work, either to haul equipment or to go to an out of town meeting.
One of the ironies of being a Rec Director. :) The other main irony is even though I organize a lot of recreational programming I don't get to do a lot for organized recreation myself (I have a rule in the winter that I do not do meetings on Tuesdays, as that is curling night).

We miss you guys too. I don't think we're coming in until Thanksgiving, and we've got family stuff that whole week-end. We do need to get together soon though! You're always welcome at our house!

Jay

Michele said...

Mark, if you're looking for a bike, I may have one for you. Call me and we'll chat.