Thursday, September 18, 2008

Leave It Behind?

Ever hear something in church that just doesn't sit with you right? Lately I find I've been sensitive to whenever I hear someone pray something like:

"And God, please help us to set aside the issues in our lives today as we come to worship you . . ."

or

"Father, may you help us to forget about all of our problems and stressors and just concentrate on you . . ."

When I hear these things prayed I feel a ripple of annoyance surge through me. Is it just me or shouldn't we be be bringing all our cares, worries, and issues to God? Couldn't it be a little inauthentic to try and forget about them to focus exclusively on God? Doesn't God care about these things? I know, I know, I'm a little too sensitive. I understand what these kinds of prayers mean and why they're said. "It's not about me, it's about Him." But I still think that Church should be a place to bring all of your cares, not forget about them. Not that we should focus on them exclusively, but to ask God to banish them from our minds seems futile and counterproductive. It's my opinion that God can handle our pain and that God is big enough to accept worship mixed with the tears and the anxieties of life. Doesn't it seem absurd to think that the spiritually mature are the ones who "can leave it all behind" and are unaffected by their life circumstances in the midst of pain? I say it is. Let's give people permission to bring their real life with them to church. The above prayers in my mind give a subtle message: "If you can't put aside your stuff and give your full attention to God, you're not spiritually mature enough - try harder!" At least that's my impression, perhaps you think differently?

May Light increase!

P.S. The painting is of Jesus in the Garden. I'm thinking his "cares" about his impending death were not banished from his mind . . . of course he wasn't in church now was he?

6 comments:

Elayne said...

Maybe your generation will be the one to change church! I think they already have to a certain extent. No longer do we have to dress in our very best uncomfortable outfits to come to church!
So how do you envision Sunday mornings if we were to "bring all our cares, tears and anxieties of life with us" Mark? I would love to know.

Anonymous said...

Mark, great post! I cannot tell you how many clients I work with who condemn themselves for not being 'mature enough' in their faith to 'put things behind them' - maddening!!!

I will also often use the story of Jesus in the garden [or the Psalms written by a 'person after God's own heart'] to encourage people to authentically bring 'stuff' to a compassionate God.

Keep writing,
Down East Lurker

Jay Boaz said...

Is it possible Mark that these people are praying about these issues at home, but when they come to church they just want to spend some "free" time with God?

To illustrate, let's say I struggle with math. I don't want to bring it up at dinner every evening, but rather I'd like to focus on spending time with the family. Not the best illustration, but I hope the idea gets across.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just wanted to bring up the possible counterpoint.

Jay

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree Mark.

It reminds me of many songs we even sing in church,

...come, just as you are to worship, come, just as you are before your God.

...oh come to the light, just as you are, fall on the Rock for the wasted years, He will restore all that was lost, surrender now, His Power is near...

THIS IS FREEDOM! We can worship God in the here and now, not once we pull all our crap together!!

The fact is worshipping God is about God, He absolutely knows what we come to the table with, and He has made it more than possible for us to worship Him, in our current state.

Thanks Mark.

Jacquie

The Duecks said...

You have a very good point, Mark. Reminds me of what the assistant pastor at the church in NYC said. something like this, "If you want to be authentic in your worship, you must embrace the messiness and brokenness of being human and the mysterious of God, and then trust in His love."

Martha

Mark said...

What would it authentic worship look like? I believe it would reflect what Martha talked about, "the messiness of life." Can worship be messy? I think so. In fact, if it's not perhaps we know that's it not authentic?

Jay: I agree with you - it could be that different people mean different things when they talk about laying aside one's worries. But what does "free time" with God mean? I'm intrigued by the idea . . .

Thanks for the thoughts and input everyone!