Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Don't Count Your Chicken's Before They Hatch

Last night at supper I got a phone call. Apparently, I won't be teaching this semester after all.

Providence has a minimum number of students that must be enrolled in a class, otherwise they cancel it. For the first time in 10 years, they had to cancel a college class at the last minute. And it was mine.

Ouch!

I can understand the college's side of things; it's not economical to have people teaching small classes. On the other hand it's a real blow to me. I was counting on the money from it (not that it's a lot!) to help us get through my transition into counseling. They give me a little compensation for my prep time, but it's nowhere near what I was going to get. Our budgeted income is now less then our budgeted expenses and that makes things tight.

Yikes. So now I'm doing some intense brainstorming to figure out how to make up the shortfall.
I'm sure I will still teach the class in the fall, but it's still disappointing. Of course there must be an opportunity in this - I just haven't seen it yet. It just goes to show you that you never know what's really going to happen. Even a sure thing is not always a sure thing. I'm reminded of the verses in James (4:13-16) that say:

Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

May Light increase!

5 comments:

Jay Boaz said...

I'm confused Mark. You start by saying the class is canceled, then you say that you're sure you will still teach the class in the fall. Que?

Jay

Mark said...

Hey Jay,
Yah, there are two semesters and I was going to teach one class a semester (Fall and Winter). So yes, I'll still be teaching the Winter semester (Jan-April). . .

Moxymama said...

Sorry to hear that. When one door closes....

Jay Boaz said...

Ah, okay, your post said you were still doing the fall. Sorry to hear that didn't work out. Here's hoping another opportunity presents itself for you!

Jay

Stacey said...

It means that you are supposed to be available for something else. I'm sure you'll see it clearly when it presents itself! Will be praying for a new opportunity for you.